Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I would like to have a few opinions on center consoles, most likely fiberglass, for Puget Sound. I'm looking to be able to tow it with a compact pickup short distances, with a price cap of about 10K. We don't see many cc's in the area, due to weather, or just more manufactures on the East coast? I like the idea of having lots of fishing/crabbing/shrimping room. Any brands that stand out for fishing the NW?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
You should be able to get a smaller Boston Whaler for 10K. Obviously only good on better days. In the past, I was out quite a bit in a 17 ft one for salmon in the Commencement Bay and Whidbey Island areas.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Whalers are great boats but can be a bit overpriced as they are so popular. There's some Whaler clones that might be a bit less expensive.

You might also want to consider Triumph boats. They're made of roto-molded plastic which means they have a soft ride and are nearly indestructible and low maintenance. They're not too common here in the PNW so you might have to find/buy one in other areas of the country. They are a popular boat in the southeast and California.

I love my 17 ft. Triumph tiller steer. The tiller steer boats aren't as popular as the center consoles rigs.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here was my old set up before I upgraded.

16.5 Wahoo. Yamaha 50 2 stroke and a Johnson 9.9 4stroke. It handled the water great and was very easy to tow with a 4runner.

I used it in the lakes mostly, but took it out in the sound to fish and crab. I also took it over to lake Wenatchee to fish for sockeye.

It was a great boat and unsinkable. It was not equipped with a bilge pump and a few times we took larger waves over the bow and had to use a small bucket to bail the water out after it drained to the back of the boat.

I really miss this boat because it was easy to handle by myself and I could take it into smaller lakes with crappy boat launches with no docks.

I really don't miss the fact there was no place to hide from the elements.

I sold it 2 summers ago for 4500 to some guy who drove up from Portland to buy it for his father.

Here is a video i took of a windy morning boat ride from one end of lake wenatchee to the other.

And on the way back it was a little worse... maybe i should have taken it a little slower...lol..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Take a look at 17' Glasplys. A Northwest built boat designed for Puget Sound. There were some center consoles built, and there were some conversions rebuilt. You could also rebuild one yourself by stripping a runabout and adding a center console or keep it simple and add a tiller steer motor.
Look for a 1979 or newer so it will have fiberglass stringers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts