Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only way I've ever fished for carp.... If you call it fishing... Is with a compound bow. It's pretty fun cruising the lake with the min-kota and launching arrows while standing on the bow of the boat. It's harder than you think. Is the carp fishery a big sport across the pond where you live? What are the size of fish you typically get? The White Possum

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is and all fish caught are safely returned to the lake.

The reason I moved here is because there are many top fishing lakes around here plus I can fish for all types of fish from a river that is just a few miles from the North Sea.

During this winter I have been finding a lot of info about the lakes and river. Will be able to hit both of them from mid April when the weather will hopefully be warm enough for me to fish for a full day.

Lakes usually charge $10 a day to fish and the river is free.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hope you aren't getting the impression that all I do is kill fish for the hell of it. I do catch and release alot when it comes to steelhead and salmon. It's just that the carp in our Eastern Washington lakes aren't native to them thus competing for food with those that are. I can't imagine eating one anyway. I do agree that carp can be fun as we seem to catch a few every year in Moses Lake fishing for bass and crappie. I've seen a few in the 15 pound range, but its just not my thing. Don't get me wrong, if thats what was here for me you bet I'd be fishing for those carp every chance I could. What's the name of the river and what's in it? The White Possum

·
Registered
292 Posts
Talk about technology... European carp anglers have really nice equipment for hooking and landing those beasties.

There is this serene and laid back UK carp fishing video somwhere on the net that really captures the vibe generated by this sport. It's really cool. If I happen across it I will put up the link

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The river is the Humber and if you see the name Hull, well I live on the bump opposite it. In the old days there used to be a ferry.

There is every type of sea fish you can think of. Even salmon and sea tout run this river as it is one of the main ones over here. There are lots of cod in it at certain times of the year.

We also have idiots who transplant foreign species into our lakes and rivers. Just take the Serpentine in Regents Park, there is a swimming area there as well as fishing and boating. Well some idiot put in some American Crawfish in the lake so that they could watch the swimmers/bathers getting their toes nipped. Now the lake is over run by the little bug6ers. The park keepers are constantly trapping them but they are losing the battle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sir John, you mentioned a river near you. Whats the name of it and what do you fish for? The videos of that carp fishing across the pond you posted opened my eyes to something new...... I'll try some of thosoe techniques over fourth of July weekend at the Potholes in Eastern Washington. Thanks for some new info (well, new to me anyway). The White Possum

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
While I don’t ever target Carp, they are a very hard fighting fish with great endurance and are fun to catch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
White Possum said:
It's just that the carp in our Eastern Washington lakes aren't native to them thus competing for food with those that are.
Might I ask please what fish are native to E WA lakes?

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Second attempt at posting this.

The river is the Humber, if you look at Hull I live on the bump of land opposite. There used to be a ferry between the twp places in the old days.

Every type of sea fish runs up the Humber, even sea trout and salmon. Lots of Cod and flatties can be taken from the river at various times of the year.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
backlash II said:
Carp on a fly rod are awesome, they will run you into your backing in a heart beat if they have any size to them.
+1 I agree Tup:
Carp AKA Brown Bonefish with Lips
Stalking them is a blast and they can be finicky as heck, especially when spawning.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I lovecarp fishing, I grew up fishing for them in the Willamett river and in Vancouver lake whenI was a kid. And I still love fishing foe them when I can.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any time night and day and any temps, now they will be feeding on the bottom.

Chopped worm will do, cut one in half and the blood they ooze out will leave a trail for the fish to follow.

If you have no worms then a small piece of tinned corn will do the trick.

Very light bobber as the bites will be shy to detect.

Plumb the depth before you start and then set bobber so that the hook bait is just on the bottom.

Small piece of bread pinched onto the line just above the hook will also work. Make sure you dip the bread into the water before you underhand cast out.

If the edges have features then fish near these as carp love to poke around in them at all times of the year. Your bait can be lowered just an inch or two from the feature.

A light bobber can be made from an old biro tube. Make sure all the ink is used up. Cut a small piece off. Thread on line. Very small weight at both ends to stop it moving around on your line.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
They've also got these "bobbins" if you want to use a sliding weight on the bottom. Can be as simple as a weight clipped onto the line between 2 guides, or something more complex when the weight also slides up and down on a stick thats put vertically into the ground. The stick method keeps the indicator from swaying in the wind.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts