Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished it a few times in the last couple weeks with no steelhead. Anyone been doing better or is it still a bit early?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I just got back from fishing for 2.5 hours at the Carbon about a mile upriver from the mouth. Nothing. Saw 8 others without anything either. So much for my start of the new year.
I used eggs as well as corkies and yarn with scent and spinners. I did catch an old piece of metal that was bending my rod.
The river is very clear!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hit the Puyallup around Alderton and down by Mama Stortinis... did not see anything... touch anything or hear of anything caught from the other guys i talked to.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
fishNow said:
Ok well at least im not the only one. Sure would be nice to get one though.
I'll second that motion!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
powder said:
Are there really that few a steely's that come up the Carbon?
I have heard from some guys that there are some (they catch them). The hatchery reports says not very many but it said the pink run there were only 46 this year. I saw that many plus more that never made it to the hatchery.
The winter steelhead run of Dec 2006-March 2007 there were 59. So far this winter it is at 7. This is the count for the hatchery.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Pinks go up South Prairie Creek, it was packed with fish. The Pinks that hit the hatchery strayed in there I bet 'cause they don't do pinks.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Maybe there is a bio on this site that can explain to us why the run is nearly depleted on the Puke? This river used to be in the top 5 in the state for steelies, putting out 3,000 plus fish a season. What happened? I could guess...nets, low egg counts and bad habitat? Maybe if another hatchery would donate eggs to the Voights hatchery, it would get back to where it used to be, but that would be too easy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The gene pool for the Chambers Creek winter steelhead strain has been too deluted in my opinion. That is why we are seeing the survival rates go down state wide.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have been fishing the Carbon/Little Puy for about three years now and I can count on 2-3 fish each winter. I know that doesn't sound like alot, and it's alot of work, but it's so sweet when all the time and work pays off and you actually hook one. The trade-off is the beautiful scenery, and relative lack of pressure compared to the bigger, more popular spots like Reiter, Blue Creek, etc. Sometimes I can go down on a Saturday morning, especially when it's reallllllllly cold and be the only one there. I saw 6 eagles down there last weekend. The Carbon doesn't get a big run, but thy're in there, if you want to work for it and put some time on the water. Another plus for the Carbon is the amount of access you have. If the water is low, you can pretty much fish the entire stream from the mouth to Voight's with a set of waders. Pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
uscg said:
I have been fishing the Carbon/Little Puy for about three years now and I can count on 2-3 fish each winter. I know that doesn't sound like alot, and it's alot of work, but it's so sweet when all the time and work pays off and you actually hook one. The trade-off is the beautiful scenery, and relative lack of pressure compared to the bigger, more popular spots like Reiter, Blue Creek, etc. Sometimes I can go down on a Saturday morning, especially when it's reallllllllly cold and be the only one there. I saw 6 eagles down there last weekend. The Carbon doesn't get a big run, but thy're in there, if you want to work for it and put some time on the water. Another plus for the Carbon is the amount of access you have. If the water is low, you can pretty much fish the entire stream from the mouth to Voight's with a set of waders. Pretty nice.
true that. i love being able to wake up at whenevever i want and go to a river that is only twenty minutes away. i have hooked fish in that river, even though its not a BC or a reiter its still fun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea this fishery has gone way down hill since I started fishing it about 7 years ago. I have gotten quite a few nice steelys in the past, but last year it was 2 and this one well, I guesss we'll just have to see. I also like how light the pressure is this time of year. Thats why I keep going back, but this is getting to be pretty sad. Wish there was a solution. will probably be out the this weekend if anyone else is going maybe we could hookup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dad, who was born in 1920, grew up very near the Carbon River in a town that was called Fairfax. His parents immigrated here from Europe. His dad worked in a coal mine and the family lived on a small subsistence farm. I caught my first limit of trout in Carbon River in 1958. Fishing there has changed through the years to be sure. While it is not what it once was it always pleases me to hear someone talk about Carbon River or just to see the name of the river printed somewhere. A part of my fishing soul lives in that river.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I usually fish this river when the natives are in, but its been about 5 years, Its just to unproductive to spend time driving for 40 minutes without the confidence to actually being able to hook a fish. Id rather spend 6-7 hours driving one way to idaho to fish the Clearwater knowing there will be a ton of fish in the river, seeing up to around 50 steelies jumping in a hole, and seeing them finning because there are so many fish that they get pushed to the top and knowing i will hook fish, goes with the green river. I live but 100 yards from it and have no interest in that river either, the Clearwater has awesome scenery too, and lots of bank space and access, Its hard to beat.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The Clearwater is nice Tup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts