Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to the Carbon to try out my new spinning rod (Sportsman show purchase) and I was going to try out what I learned at the Sportsman show seminar on bobber and jig. Water was so clear if there were any fish they probably saw me get out of my car. The cheap bobber stops I got at Wal-Mart broke in half 2nd cast so I went back to drift fishing. Corky and yarn tipped with a prawn. Nothing. There were a few others at the area I was in but I didn’t see anything caught. I fished 1.5 hours 1:30 to 3:00.

·
Banned
661 Posts
Keep shopping at sprawlmart for your cheap bobber stops and I'm sure your drift fishing will bring success. How does a bobber stop break in half ?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I could never break my bobber stops cause i just tie a piece of 20lbs line onto my mainline. That little knot wont make it though the bead. You can adjust it in a couple seconds.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Metal Slave said:
Keep shopping at sprawlmart for your cheap bobber stops and I'm sure your drift fishing will bring success. How does a bobber stop break in half ?
They were these small red plastic piece that had several holes in it. It broke at the holes. I think they caught on the eyes of the pole as I casted out. Plastic gets brittle in the cold and that might have been part of it. It took 2 times to get it completely off the line.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i too use rubberbands , there alot less of a hassle, sometimes i use the little rubberbands that my daughter got for her retainer, hell i've even tied a stick on the line when i ran out of bobbers, Tup:

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you tie the rubber band on so that you can still cast easily? A regular knot? Just make sure it is very small?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I use the ones like Stonefish uses, I just buy Danielsons version, and they work great.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I bought some at Sportco that cut themselves when I went to pull them tight. Tdown: Now all I buy is the thicker neon green ones.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I second the Danielsons, they are the easist thing to use. I used to use the crappy ones that come with the bobbers, but gave up on them. You can just leave the rubber ones on and go to fishing spoons or drifting with no problems too.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ImaginThat said:
I just carry dental floss, Oh god I just admitted I'm a flosser :D
:D

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I am going to try the rubber bands next time. I won't be able to fish for a couple of weeks. I will try again, though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've tried them all and my favorite adjustable float stop knot is a three wrap nail knot with 20 lb. fly line backing. Slides through your guides with very little hanging, you don't even know it's there. Dousn't burn your line when adjusting and stays in place when playing a hot fish. 20 lb. fly line backing gives me just a big enough knot for my glass seed beads that I use inserted and super glued into the top of my slip floats. It's the wax in the fly line backing that helps the nail knot stay in place when the float is pushing against the nail knot when playing a fish, it's tacky and grips the main line very well but is adjustable when needed. Take a six inch piece of 20 lb. fly line backing and make a circle with tag ends parallel to the main line and wrap the right tag three times around main line and through the circle and then slowly pull tag ends into the knot, the final tighting of the knot is by pulling the right tag only. I like using needle nose pliers to do the final tighting by pulling the right tag firm and tight to the moistened main line. If you are left handed, wrap with the left tag and do the final tighting with the left tag. I then cut the tag ends flush to the knot with finger nail clippers, no more tighting ever needed if done right. As stated by others this knot stays on the line the whole time when changing to other fishing methods. Always wet main line when adjusting float stop knot. You can also tye this knot below your float right above the swivel a few inches to save your slip float sometimes on break offs if you have a fixed bead stop on the top of your float, but needs to be removed if changing fishing methods. If your beads have a larger hole use 30 lb. fly line backing. I also use this knot as a grass, leaf stopper above my swivel a foot or two when plugging and plunking or trolling works great.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Right on, lots of good ideas. I for one just use a peice of what ever main line or leader I have and tie a 3 - 5 wrap surgeons knot. You never run out as long as you got line on the reel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts