Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought i'd get out during the big game and enjoy some solitude on the river. Having never fished the Carbon, i goggle Earth'ed a few spots and drove down the the treatment plant in Orting. started fishing about 2:45 and conditions seemed great though i have nothing to compare them too. water was low and clear, about 3+ feet of vis. i threw hardware the whole time as i'm trying to develop some techniques with it. saw 2 rollers around 3:30, one a fin clipped small Steely. couldn't tell what the other was. unfortunately, none of the fish were interested in biting what i had to offer. i used Little Cleo's in copper, brass and Fire Tiger, as well as some #4 Vibrax spinners.

saw about a half dozen people down there spread out over a half mile of river. didn't see anything caught. saw a fellow in the same hole using floats and jigs and another guy upstream drifting C&Y. i was just about to switch to drifting some EZ eggs when the light faded and it was time to go home.

got snowed on a little while i was there. perfect conditions for Steelhead fishing. i haven't been on a river in over 2 months so it was nice and relaxing to get out there again, despite my lack of catching.

question for anyone familiar with the area; is there any way to get a car onto the gravel road that parallels the river? looks like there is a Road in Orting that has access on Google Earth but i couldn't be sure.

hope everyone had a great weekend.

Bobby

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Bobarino said:
question for anyone familiar with the area; is there any way to get a car onto the gravel road that parallels the river? looks like there is a Road in Orting that has access on Google Earth but i couldn't be sure.
Bobby
I have seen Fishermen riding that "Dike" on Mountain Bikes with Fishtails hanging out of their Backpacks. Tup: "TRAPPER"

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Generally no. I have seen a car on it about a half mile down river from where you were. I was told that if they are caught driving on it you will be fined. I have seen trucks and horses on the other side but I think they are people who own property on that side. There is a Christmas tree farm there.
I know that if you were to go down river from the treatment plant about a quarter of a mile from the mouth there is a gate that says no trespassing, they say you can't even go on the river. My friend (who lives on the river close to there) says if they see you on their land they might shoot at you. Mean bunch of people. Property is owned to the middle of the river. Some of it is owned by Utilities.
The property right at the mouth of the Carbon where it joins the Puyallup also has no trespassing signs. If you wade you can go a lot of places as the river is real low right now.
I have heard that the steelhead are spooky and there are eagles in the area and with the water so clear it might be hard for the bite to be "on".
I am getting ready to go down there now. I will leave about 10:30.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts