Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a time when a guy from WA state could buy a Canadian license over the internet and fish for his 'butts from a Washington port. Some of you may or may not know that if you're going to fish for halibut in Canadian water, you have to visit a Canadian license dealer IN PERSON to purchase your license now, if you are not a Canadian resident.

I'm posting this as a spin-off from another thread, just in-case someone is planning to obtain a Canadian license, and has not read the Neah Bay/Hawg Quest thread.

Here's a link to more info: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/li ... al_Licence.

It does appear that a person can buy a license for a spouse, or obtain a license for a youth (under 16), but not for anyone else besides themself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We've been purchasing a paper Canadian license for the last 3 years. I can confirm that you can buy one for your spouse as a friend of mine did it for his wife. There's a store about 1/4 mile from the border called Campbell River store that we got to. We typically sacrifice a Saturday in April to run up to the border to get our licenses. It's a hassle since I'm in Olympia, but oh well we just make a day of it and visit places up north. :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Fishnut has it right. The paper license is only for areas reachable from Neah Bay (area 121). I you are fishing the canadian side of the straights, or places like Port Alberni and Ucluelet the online license is fine.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
This is also for areas 23 and 123 that was extended this year for the online licensing.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
we have a charter on the books for the advantage on june 1,which for the last 2-3 years we have used the on-line system, when it was working,but this year geoff said a paper linc is req.so its back to cambells for the paper. so if you go 3 hours up north you need a paper linc .as i posted on another thread,something is going on with canada and the u.s. for the month of may, the canadians cut the fish catch down ,from 2 halis to 1.but in the month of june its back to 2.is this in retaliation for ca,or,wa,ganging up on canada for the salmon runs ,i dontknow? whats some of your thoughts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just wanted to add that you can get the license for your spouse or child without them being present. You will need IDs for them. I verified this with the Canadian DFW licensing office.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Mics, No, its the commercials in BC are and have been taking 88% while the BC sporties only get 12%. This has not been a problem until this year where we all took a cut in Halibut poundage. Washington, Oregon, and California had 1.33 million pounds last year. We were supposed to get cut to 1 million. We were able to hold at 1.22 (Thanks to Mark Cedergreen at Westport and Phil Anderson) BC got cut from 11 million pounds down to 9 million. The BC sporties were going to start feeling the crunch and the quickest thing they could think of to do was to cut the Neah Bay Charters. This kept them from any real loss on paper. It got quite ugly. By them expanding the online licensing closure, they are trying to make it tough on the Neah Bay Charter fleet that goes to Canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts