Game Fishing Forum banner

Cabelas

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  SeaRanger21 
#1 ·
I remember reading about how Cableas was deserted now, and people were thinking it would go belly up (I dont remember if it was here or one of the other sites I frequent) but, I went today and it was packed. It looked just like it did when I went right before Christmas! I was really hoping that things would settle down so I could go in and REALLY look around without being caught up in the current of people. Thats not going to happen anytime soon. I think the worst part was they must have been having a sale on "pop" guns for kids. They were everywhere, real loud, and really annoying! Even my young un's were making comments about them. I'll bet those parents will be sorry they bought them before they car ride home is over!

I did pick up a few odds and ends, biggest being a washdown kit for my boat. Nice thing was, I was spending mostly gift cards from Christmas!

#2 ·
I think you did read that here that Cabelas was now slow and wouldn't make it. I remember reading it a couple weeks ago. I think they will do fine and the couple times I have been, they have been pretty busy. I bet they stay real busy on the weekends.

#3 ·
Pops was there on Thursday morning, checking out GPS's. He went to both Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. He said that Cabela's had 100 times more customers than Sportsman's Warehouse. He felt bad for Sportsman's Warehouse because the staff there have always been so helpful.

#6 ·
I dropped by the other day on a weekday hoping it would be slow, I was wrong - would'nt say it was packed to the gills but it was pretty darn busy for a weekday. I plan on checkin it out again sometime when I have more time, as it was I was driving through and kinda stopped in just to take a quick peek. I do think I could spend a heckuv alot of time in there browsing though.

#7 ·
Living right there, I can tell you the many times I've been in, it is always busy. Not so much as the first weekend, but it is now much less crowded, but still busy enough to easily do great business there. Plus, the whole area is being developed to be a whole new city iwth retail centers, condo towers, restaraunts, Cabela's is just a very small part of what that whole area will be.

They aren't going anywhere. The parking lot has never been close to half empty!

#8 ·
I cant understand the whole taking sides with either Sportsmans or Cabelas thing. I see them as two completely different stores really. I wont be buying much fishing gear from Cabelas, and most of my hunting gear has always come from Cabelas anyway.

I personally spend way to much money at way too many stores, so I'm doing my part to help just about everywhere that carries fishing, hunting, or birdwatching for that matter (my family love it...). Cabelas seems like more of a destination, than anything else. Honestly, I think Sportco could do more damage to my wallet than either sportsmans, or Cabelas if I lived down there.

#9 ·
I went there last weekend and spent a bit of money. Like others have said, the 'Bargain Cave' was a dissapointment.
They did not have everything in the catalog, like rain gear, but who does. A big problem was the cafeteria - 45 minutes in line to get a very average burger - eat something before you go there. My thought, it was like any other sporting goods store, if you know what you want - and know the prices, you'll do OK. I did find some ling jigs cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. If I'm in the area, gotta go. If gotta travel, not worth it.

#10 ·
I was one of the ones that mentioned how slow Cabelas was on a recent weekday visit and mentioned I wondered whether it could sutain enough business to stay open for the long haul. Good to hear that maybe I was just lucky, hitting it at a slow time.

I think Cheez has the right idea, know what you want, know the going best price and buy at which ever store gives you the best deal.

#11 ·
We went on New Years Eve, and it was pretty packed. I too have to agree that the Bargain Cave was a major disappointment! I did find a very nice set of waders on sale, the Guide Tech Dry Plus waders for $159.99. All in all, I was excited to be in my first ever Cabelas, but not sure if it was quite worth the 2.5 hr drive up. I'll be back there someday, just not sure when.

Jig'n

#12 ·
I like Cabelas but I dont go that way that much. My local Auburn Sports and Marine will be just fine. The cost of my gas to go there is not worth it. I do shop online at Cabelas and thats the best way. I can shop the whole store from home.

#13 ·
I was really looking forward to shopping at Cabelas,but found out that the clothing and boots that I have been buying from the catalog (size 4,5XL and 14 4E ) wont be stocked in the store so it won't benefit me in any way to go to the store and deal with the crowds so catalog sales for my clothes as usual it is. Fishing gear I buy from Sportco they have the gear we fish with in this area at a fair price.I don't care for Sportsmans Warehouse. I have found most ( I did not say all) of their staff to have very little knowledge especially in the fishing department,and it seems like the inventory is not very site specific. It's like whoever orders it puts exactly the same thing in every store whether it's back East or here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.