Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the fine print in the order form and see that the state is included in a group that wants the sales tax included but after the shipping charges are added. :eek:
What a DEAL for having a Cabela's store in Lacy that from what I have read and people that have gone to it are not that all impressed with products & prices. :?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ordered a fish finder from Cabelas about 2 months ago and never had to pay sales tax. If you call and ask them they can tell you if will be chared or not. I wasn't charged last time.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Ya, I'm not real impressed with how that turned out either. I think some of the "Cool" is gone now that they are in the state. Seems like a big Wally World that just sells sporting goods.

You can have your stuff shipped to the store for free. You still have to pay the tax and you have to drive to the store to pick it up. But it might work for some people.

Problem for me is that once they have me in the store to pick up my order, I end up spending another couple hundred on stuff that I might need some day....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yup, bought a rod rack for the truck yesterday. Got charged for sales tax...that sucks...

Oh well! Just part of life...I'll write it off when tax time comes... :cool:

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I finally made it down to Cabelas for the first time this past weekend. I only spent $11.00 as I wasn't impressed at all by selection (other than clothing) and definately not by their pricing. Now having to pay sales tax as well as shipping on catalog orders they have lost a bit of their luster. I guess I'll have to look harder at the Bass Pro Shops for my catalog stuff that I can't find locally.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
wolverine said:
I finally made it down to Cabelas for the first time this past weekend. I only spent $11.00 as I wasn't impressed at all by selection (other than clothing) and definately not by their pricing. Now having to pay sales tax as well as shipping on catalog orders they have lost a bit of their luster. I guess I'll have to look harder at the Bass Pro Shops for my catalog stuff that I can't find locally.
Thats funny,I went to Cabelas a couple weeks ago and spent $11 myself.I bough a spool of line and a stringer. I went in expecting to blow a big chunk of change,but like you found their prices just so-so.

The store is far enough from me that I won't be making the 150 mile round trip to shop there.

You definately need to see the store once,as its a pretty cool place.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The fact that everybody is poo-poohing Cabelas now after the little honeymoon is over, is pretty comical to me.

Everybody had a big ole raging bone that the huge concrete jungle was coming to town. All along I kept trying to tell many a people that they need to focus on their local retailers because Cabelas is such a large company, they don't give a damn about you on a personal level.

Everytime I kept voicing my opinion about Cabelas, going to stick it to everyone in the long run, my words were shunned. How many local shops are they going to put out of business? How much land did they ruin while plopping that huge store down?

If a true sportsman isn't bothered by how they came in and tore up that plot of land to then put small retailers out of business, you oughta have your head examined. It's a glorified Wal-Mart.

Most people are now getting what they asked for. Tdown:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I made it to Cabela's a couple times before I moved from Lacey to Kelso, I doubt I'll go back especially with Bob's down here in Longview, Bob's is 1 of the best fishing/hunting stores I've been to along the I-5 corridor.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
That plot of land used to be a great place to go ride quads and Motorcross bikes... I have great memories of it when I was a younger fellow..

What still amazes me, is that that place is a zoo almost every day. The parking lot is packed. Where just across the freeway sits the Lacey Sportsmans Warehouse. Its parking lot is generally pretty empty. I live less than 10 minutes from both, and can tell you that the pricing on most items in Sportsmans is WAY better than Cabelas. Especially on steelhead gear. .... Cabelas has "more" "stuff" and has a nice clothing selection. On a couple of my trips to Cabelas to look at boats, I did notice it was very busy there, but there seemed to be a lot of people comming out with nothing at all, or small bags with one or 2 items.. For people to drive 30-50-100 miles to shop there makes no sense to me, when you can buy just about anything thats there in your local area for the same or lower price... So why drive all the way to Lacey??

I guess people are programmed that Cabelas Is a Cool place and the "in" store to shop at. Because from a comsumer perspective, I shop for the best deals. And that you wont find at Cabelas.... Unless you are looking for a Boat.. Their boats are actually very well priced for Stripers and Hewescrafts. Especially when you also get the 2% in rewards points on top of their already competitive pricing..

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Cableas had BC Steel spoons in stock, which shocked me. Didn't have anything else I was looking for though. Cabelas makes it easy for family get get me bday and xmas gifts by going online and getting me gift cards.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
nothing new regarding the Cabelas sales tax on catalog orders.

there's been 2-3 prior threads on this board that talked about it. When the shop opened in 2007, no tax was charged on mail order things through the end of 2007. Once 2008 came, so did taxes.

We all knew this was coming. No surprises.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I agree Vol, this is kind of like beating a dead horse with the tax issue.

As far as prices go, Cabelas will price match. Also, try returning something to other stores and see what'll happen. Cabelas has one of the best customer service/returns polcies you'll see anymore. On the selection side, things are starting to show up that are fit more for the local types of fishing, it just takes time to get dialed into the area.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you order from a company that is in your state online.... you pay sales tax. As long as they are out of state you don't pay sales tax for online orders. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Makes me feel good about renewing my membership at SportCo.

wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like I said, a "true sportsman" would avoid supporting these big box gigs. The initial savings may seem like a great thing for consumer, but in the long run, it kills our local economy. Not to mention, the economy in general. Sure they have "great customer service" when returning an item. All they do is throw the item back at the supplier, who then contacts his offshore supplier and demands the product again at a lesser price. That in turn pulls more jobs away from the US because now the off shore supplier will supply the item for a dirt cheap price that the US market can't touch. You may think that just because they take an item back with no questions asked is a great gig. Sure it is convenient, but in the long run it kills our economy as a whole. Pay a little more and support the smaller shops!

Do a little research on "Big Box Stores". How much more land will alleged sportsmen allow large companies come in and tear up? It is a horrible cycle for our economy not to mention our land, forests, streams, etc....

ps...no I am not a tree hugger. I hunt, fish, kill, etc....I just make wiser choices on who and where I buy from. There are enough small retailers that are more than willing to keep our outdoor hobbies afloat.

The end (for now)

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you thinking of making a long trek to Cabelas you should make the trek to Bob's in Longview instead. You'll be much happier with the prices and selection, but the stores not as cool. It is locally owned and the people know what the heck they're taking about. I've checked prices between them and the few items also carried at WAL-MART and Bob's beats there prices too.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
linepeeler said:
Like I said, a "true sportsman" would avoid supporting these big box gigs.
conf: From the looks of the parlking lot last time I went, There aren't many of your "true sportsmen" around. What a weird thing to say. :roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
What is odd is that Sportsmen who claim to carry such a great concern for our land and habitat, are fueling the big engine of the Big Box to keep it going. Keep the fire burning big enough, and hey....maybe they will open up another one. Then another...and another....

It makes little sense for a Sportsman to support this machine. No sense on an environmental, or local economical level.

If you or anyone else can't understand it...do some research.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
A lot of people are extremely price sensative. I'm all for supporting the little guy, but he had better be price competitive. If a guy needs a lot of hand holding then they need to buck up and pay for the "better" service that they may get from the small local guy. If not then they should be able to buy from anybody and everybody that has the best deal. It's a world economy now and you can't turn back the clock. It is what it is.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts