Gamefishin.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
2,222 Posts
Cabelas is a public company and Listed on the NYSE which knows nothing of this rumored buyout. Where is the certainty of this deal posted? I'm thinking it would be far more public if its a done deal as of Jan 1 2016 and it's November 15th Now?

Not trying to stir the pot or make an argument, it's could very likely be true. I'm just surprised that nobody working at cabelas knows this is a done deal nor can I find anything about it on the web?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Wouldn't an evident deal be reflected in common stock of Cabela's changing hands at a rate which is different than normal? Like ALL other buyout's or M & A's?

·
2,222 Posts
Curious, hardly seems that one guy with 11% is in control.

That means 89% is controlled by others? How does that 11% take control over all the decisions. Bass pro is also publicly held so there is a board of directors on that side too.

It's not like one guy buying a cow or a ton of hay from another guy. There is legal and business protocol involved. Which involves plenty of people laws and money.

I'm just not clear on the way a fella with 11% of the "equity" is made to sound as if he is the fella driving the bus here?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Word on the street is that Cabela's will be closing it's doors at the first of the year after a buyout deal was struck with Bass Pro Shops on Monday of this week.

If you've got gift cards or store credit you might want to redeem it before the new year.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In a way I hate to see them close because I don't like driving past the Tacoma Dome to shop or go to Puyallup. As far as customer service Cabelas is the worst I've seen. I went to friends and family night sunday and their wasn't one person in the clothing area or bargain cave. I think alot of people would have liked to know employee cost of some items but nobody to talk too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
High prices, limited inventory, terrible customer service. Haven't spent $$ there in a long time, would rather make the drive to Sportco or Bass Pro.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Cabelas makes some great high end waders. Just as good as Simms or Dan Bailey. I'm gonna have to grab a pair before the doors close.
No they don't make/manufacture anything.
They just put their name on it.
But if you must spend your money, then by all means do.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I get great customer service...even on a first name basis with a few. Prices maybe a little high but wear and tear on my car plus the gas to drive an extra half hour (if traffic is good) is a wash plus my time for the drive. I have not had no problem getting what I went there for either

·
Registered
949 Posts
Same here Cod. Lotsa people put zero value on time and expense involved with travel. Trading time for money happens a lot in life........then it's over.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
This proposed buyout rumor does seem to be gathering a little more credibility. There's no way it'd fully execute by the 1st of the year, and even if/when it happens, there's NO way your Cabela's gift card will become invalid.

Even is Bass bought Cabela's, I doubt the Cabela's store/brand would go-away.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Cabelas makes some great high end waders. Just as good as Simms or Dan Bailey. I'm gonna have to grab a pair before the doors close.
No they don't make/manufacture anything.
They just put their name on it.
But if you must spend your money, then by all means do.
True that Cabela's doesn't own the manufacturing facility, but they DO work with manufacturers directly to design, spec and produce their own items. In some cases (mostly hard-goods) they're simply putting their name on an existing product, usually with some small cosmetic or minor functional change. In many other cases however, they've actually done the design, spec, and procurement themselves. Especially true in softgoods (clothing) items. You'd probably be surprised how few actual manufacturing facilities there are vs the number of well-known name brands in the market. Multiple (and competitive) brands of product produced in the same independent facility.

Reactions: Metal_

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My cabelas tent is made by Alps mountaineering. My fly rods are excellent, but dont know the parent company. The waranty is what i like on cabelas brands, walk in and exchange.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I wish to heck I could get out the dang door without spending a small fortune. We've never walked out empty handed and we rarely pay full price for anything. We go there about 6 times a year and shop the catalog too. It'd be nice to say it's all hubby's fault... but I like a lot of their stuff too.

Sportco is too far/too much traffic and the Sportsmans Warehouse selection doesn't seem to compare.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I wish to heck I could get out the dang door without spending a small fortune. We've never walked out empty handed and we rarely pay full price for anything. We go there about 6 times a year and shop the catalog too. It'd be nice to say it's all hubby's fault... but I like a lot of their stuff too.

Sportco is too far/too much traffic and the Sportsmans Warehouse selection doesn't seem to compare.
You never know who you might run into while at Sportco! Have to concur about the traffic; there is a fairly open window late morning to early afternoon and probably worth it if you know what you want versus full price at Cabelas.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
You never know who you might run into while at Sportco! Have to concur about the traffic; there is a fairly open window late morning to early afternoon and probably worth it if you know what you want versus full price at Cabelas.
Actually, we have run into people we know at Cabela's several times. :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
For what its worth-I spoke to a CSR agent at the store last week and asked about them shutting down "anytime soon" and she said they were not closing. Of course a closure could happen without employee knowledge.

I would expect since they are a publicly traded company that a complete shutdown will be awhile, but a buyout is completely in the works behind the scenes.

AP NEWSWIRE:
Cabela's (CAB) said it's exploring strategic alternatives to increase shareholder value. The hunting and fishing store chain has hired Guggenheim Securities to assist in the process.

·
Registered
986 Posts
True that Cabela's doesn't own the manufacturing facility, but they DO work with manufacturers directly to design, spec and produce their own items. In some cases (mostly hard-goods) they're simply putting their name on an existing product, usually with some small cosmetic or minor functional change. In many other cases however, they've actually done the design, spec, and procurement themselves. Especially true in softgoods (clothing) items. You'd probably be surprised how few actual manufacturing facilities there are vs the number of well-known name brands in the market. Multiple (and competitive) brands of product produced in the same independent facility.
Lots of this type of operations are used in the Food & Beverage industry.
Rainier used to brew a whole bunch of other brands not just Rainier.
Nalley's used to make a whole bunch of other brands not just Nalley's.

Now that hard goods come mostly from China, it's even easier for "Brands" to claim they are the manufacturer of their products.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts