Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, my 5 month old GSP pup flushed and found his first bird last weekend. It was a covey of quail, from which I shot two of them.

This morning we were out again and he actually pointed and froze. I said to my little boy,....... look at bushman he's on point! Then no sooner the words were out of my mouth the covey broke and I was lucky to be able to shoot a single bird as they caught me so far off guard while I was admiring his point. I just figured he was confused by something and I just happened to catch his point. Well that Quail fell into a dry ditch which was filled with tumble weed about 7 foot high. I started into the ditch and found some feathers. Then searching the ground nothing? That little quail was in the sage brush about 6 feet off the ground. Birds that small don't fall to the bottom like big rooster pheasants do. A short time later he went on point again. This time he was flat to the ground, like a cat stalks a bird, frozen on point and his belly nearly touching the earth. Then he busted and grabbed a meadowlark out of the air. What a whacky morning with him! He figured out how to point and then hunts like a leopard grabbing a bird from the air.

Anyhow bushman made his first point, and after that he was like a machine. Somewhere in the distance we heard a shotgun fire. Instantly he jumped up and looked around for the bird and was running top speed searching. He did not understand that it was not me that shot. That shot was probably miles away. But he now relates gunshots to dead birds.

We have only a few days left for the season, I gotta hunt him hard now that he's fired up. Hunting with a dog like this is so much better then just walking the ditch alone. I'm totally addicted with this upland bird hunting with bushman now. I would have posted a photo, but those quail are just so tiny in a photo. I'll take one of him on point next time out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
SWEET!!!! I enjoy watching a dog work and get excited as much as shooting the bird!

·
Registered
832 Posts
SO cool! I'm living vicariously though you... as i want/need a dog in the worst way!

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RiverTraveller,

When I told folks I was moving over here, almost everyone said I would need to get a bird dog. Well I'm a big game hunter first and foremost. Not a deep rooted need or desire to hunt birds.............yeah so I thought!

After being here about 3 months and seeing Roosters every day, I was very much anticipating the opening day of bird hunting! Well after shooting a number of birds and finding I was having some extrodinary luck finding some of the downed birds, I was thinking how much better it would be with a dog. So I began the search some of which I was helped with on this very site.

Now I have this dog that has really changed my recreational interests as much as anything could. He has been so much fun to watch that I can walk the bush with him after the season and just take some photo's of him and maybe some jumping birds. It's also a great exercise and time spent with my son as well. I can't tell you how much this dog has improved my enjoyment and quality of life. I'm not one for having a pet. Animals in my life have to work or provide some service. This handsome dog does that in spades.

As a side note, the landowner/ rancher next to me came over for a visit last night. When my wife opened the front door that pup went ballistic growling and barking with hair raised. I've never seen anything like this from any dog I have owned. He was simply viscious in appearance! I grabbed his collar and said "no". He then proceeded to lick the neighbor while he was petting him and scratching behind his ears. He switched to behaving perfectly in about 2 seconds. We had never seen that snap aggression from this 5 month old pup! It was actually impressive and would have driven me away hearing that dog inside! My neighbor said that he was going to start feeding my dog some meat scraps and lure him away from me. He was in love with him before he left and I was worried that Bushman would leave with him! Funny outside away from home or with my son, he is gental and friendly without any defensive posture. But in the house he is a beast if somebody unknown comes to the door!

All my hounds would see another person and just lay there. No emotion, or aggression, nothing at all. No defensive reaction whatever. This GSP owns this place now, and he is not afraid to express that. If you can find a dog like this buy it, it can only improve your life!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Love to read this post, its like looking at a mirror of my experiences with my vizslas. Its quite amazing how our passions change as we go through life. Another bonus that you will find with the bird hunting is when your son is old enough to hunt. He will be able to hunt (with you) many more days a year than just the big game seasons and there is no substitute for actual experience in the field. Also, remember to keep training your pup, all time spent with you is training. Even when riding in the truck to the hardware store, he learns to travel and that he is expected to wait for you. Might be a better lesson

Regarding the guard dog feature of your new pup, Tup: . Our regular UPS driver is well aware of the dog in the house, he is almost afraid when we are home that we might open the door and let the dog out. He was amazed to meet the sweet dog once and couldn't believe it was the same dog as he hears inside. We know for a fact that our old vizsla, which lives in the house even when we are away, is directly responsible for foiling a break-in a couple years ago. These were daytime (while at work) break-ins and the neighbors were not so lucky. We just found a couple screens off, where they checked the windows and met a snarling, snapping set of canine teeth.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Vizslas and GSP's are the top two on my list... Tup: it's going to be hard to make a decision for sure. Really just going to come down to which one will retrieve ducks better. Just not in the cards this year... No time to train or even be a good owner. Hopefully if all goes well this year we'll be bringing one home this time next year!

pushing birds in the field alone is definitely getting OLD! :lol:

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your commitment to the decision and doing the right thing for the dog is the right choice. Getting the dog and not having time for that critical first 6 months of training would end up being a disaster for both of you.

As far as ducks, well I don't hunt waterfowl so I'm of no help. The breeder I bought this dog from raises pointing labs as well. That might be another option. Although they don't guarantee pointing pups, many will point from what he told me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
JJHACK said:
Your commitment to the decision and doing the right thing for the dog is the right choice. Getting the dog and not having time for that critical first 6 months of training would end up being a disaster for both of you.

WELL SAID! Richard Wolters say you start teaching the first 5 months and they well learn for a lifetime.
Seems to me there are a number of new pups this year so keep them on birds and good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts