Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see more and more people using burlap gunny sacks for their fish and asked an old timer about his yesterday. He said when your fishing in the summer, in the field with no ice, they keep your fish cooler. He said pop the gills to bleed the fish right away, rinse the blood off, put them in a burlap sack, get it good and wet then put it in the shade, and the fish will stay much cooler than floating on a rope along the shore in the sun like so many people do. Now I need to find a couple.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I like the ones that coffee have been stored in. They are a lighter weave and absorb water much better. The feed store type are usually very heavy and hard to soak up the water. Once they do soak it up they work good. They are also harder to clean, Ahh the smell of dead fish in your burlap after a week of sitting in your boat. Spread them out and let them dry. A large % of the smell will evaporate with the water.
Burlap is all that I ever used in my boats. Rinse often and re apply to the fish. Of course keep it out of the sun

·
Registered
411 Posts
When fish are to big to put in my Ice Chest I use burlap sacks and then put them in my non-insulated fish box. Make sure the bags are really wet to start with. As the water evaporates it keeps the fish cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see more and more people using burlap gunny sacks for their fish and asked an old timer about his yesterday. He said when your fishing in the summer, in the field with no ice, they keep your fish cooler. He said pop the gills to bleed the fish right away, rinse the blood off, put them in a burlap sack, get it good and wet then put it in the shade, and the fish will stay much cooler than floating on a rope along the shore in the sun like so many people do. Now I need to find a couple.
I guess I am getting to be an old timer LOL, but I grew up on in Oregon and fished for Salmon out of Newport and we always used a gunny sack for the fish. Now they have all these fancy cool bags a lot of reviews say they don't work well. I am just starting to Kayak fish in the gulf I think I will go back to the gunny sack. If they get nasty you can throw them away and buy a new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts