Buckboard Bacon & Smoked Meatloaf | Page 3 | Gamefishin.com

Buckboard Bacon & Smoked Meatloaf

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by Echo Mules, Jan 22, 2012.

1. sirfishalotz

sirfishalotz Member

Hi mountain buckboard bacon cure... You can find it at sportsman , cabelas . Works well .

2. bing

bing Active Member

so far I've only used Hi Mountain cure, but I'll probsbly make my own next time.

3. mr.Goodbar

mr.Goodbar Member

Found two really great posts here with step by steps including pictures. It may be a while before I get the smoker going, but I definitely have enough info to get started now - except I almost want to make my own vertical smokehouse!

4. Echo Mules

Echo Mules Member

Sorry about not getting back on the recipe request. Been missing in action for a while. Here's my favorite after tweaking a few batches and trying elements of different recipes I've found.

Muleskinner's Buckboard Bacon

Recipe for a boneless 9-10 lb butt.
    1 teaspoon Cure #1 (1 teaspoon per 5 lbs meat)
    2/3 cup Salt
    1/2 cup dark Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup cracked Black Pepper
    1/4 cup fine ground Black Pepper
    3 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
    3 Tablespoons Onion Powder
    2/3 cup Molasses
    1/2 Gallon plus Cold Water

* Mix the dry spices in a large bowl. Including the Cure.
    * Add the Molasses & Water and mix the brine well. Making sure the cure is mixed through all.
    * Set your Butt into a large 2 1/2 gallon Ziploc bag.
    * Inject the brine into the meat every few inches, making sure to get into the center of the biggest cut areas. Mix the brine well each for each fill of your injector.
    * Add the remaining brine to the Ziploc bag. Squeezing the excess air out of the bag so the brine completely covers the meat.
    * Set the ziploc brine bag into a container to catch any leaking brine and set in the fridge for 8-14 days. Flip bags and massage brine into the meat every day or two. I've done it less and could tell I cheated.
    * When ready to smoke, rinse off the meat well and rest a couple hours beforehand.
    * I smoke mine to an internal temp of 145.
    (BBB does not have to be cold smoked. Once it is cured properly, you can do anything you want with it (cold smoke, warm smoke, or hot smoke).

Time to Enjoy! EM

5. HOBO98498

HOBO98498 Well-Known Member

So EM, I looked all over the thread to try and find out what cure#1 is. Did I miss something? Your product, as well as Bings, really looks good.

6. Echo Mules

Echo Mules Member

Cure #1 is the basic cure needed to cure meats that require slow cooking or smoking to prevent botulism (food poisoning). It can be obtained at any sausage supply house, even seen it in Wally World. Just be sure to not substitute Cures in recipes. Like #2 for #1 or whatever.

7. Echo Mules

Echo Mules Member

Cure #1 is the basic cure needed to cure meats that require slow cooking or smoking to prevent botulism (food poisoning). It can be obtained at any sausage supply house, even seen it in Wally World. Just be sure to not substitute Cures in recipes. Like #2 for #1 or whatever.

Search tags for this page

buckboard bacon

buckboard bacon brine recipe

buckboard bacon cure recipe

buckboard bacon recipe

buckboard bacon recipes
cured meatloaf
email 33739
homemade buckboard bacon brine recipe

how to make buckboard bacon

recipe for home made buckboard bacon