Buckboard Bacon & Smoked Meatloaf | Gamefishin.com

Buckboard Bacon & Smoked Meatloaf

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by Echo Mules, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Echo Mules

Echo Mules Member

After seeing a few other pictures and threads about Buckboard Bacon, I decided to try and make up a batch of if myself.
    Started off with a large pork shoulder, split it, covered it with a chosen cure mix, and into the fridge for two weeks. Turning over the bag of meat occasionally to keep the cure on all the meat.

This is what it looked like after two weeks in the cure.

[​IMG]

Pulled it out and sliced/fried a few pieces to taste test the saltyness.

[​IMG]

A bit too salty, so into water to soak for an hour.

[​IMG]

Dried off and into the smoker.

[​IMG]

The timing of this project did not plan for no power for six days. So here’s my heat source, Lump charcoal.

[​IMG]

I also had my homemade a-maze smoker going with maple pellets, got good a good thick smoke going.

[​IMG]

Pulled it out after seven hours.

[​IMG]

After cooling overnight in the fridge, sliced it up and in the frypan for breakfast. Good stuff, tasted someplace between bacon and ham. The flavor was a little strong on the sugar, but just right on the smoke and the soak did mellow the salt. I’ll try a variable of the recipe on the next round with less sugar. But that is the critical eval, the bacon will get eaten quickly, good stuff.

[​IMG]

Since I had the smoker going anyway with the Buckboard Bacon, I decided to do a Smoked Meatloaf also. Here it is all wrapped up ready for the smoker.

[​IMG]

In it goes, all set, added a few more lumps of charcoal and closed it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Temp held at about 250, with good smoke rolling.

[​IMG]

A little over two hours later, dinner.

[​IMG]

2. Motoboat

Motoboat Member

I am in the middle of making bacon. Is Buckboard Bacon a certain cut of meat used as part of the recipe. Or is Buckboard Bacon the name given to the recipe?

I too was concerned about saltiness. What was your Sugar to Salt ratio?. I tried a 3 to 1. And am soaking in water after the 1 week brining process. Only because I think it will be too salty. Since most things salted, are way to salty to me. To me, store bought bacon tastes similar to licking a salt lick.

3. Bigtrks

Bigtrks Member

I hadn't made any along time . So u got my thinking about it . I just ran down to the only store in town and they r out of dead pig parts that would work . Guess it back to looking at yours . Send me a bite

4. Echo Mules

Echo Mules Member

Buckboard Bacon generally referrs to making bacon out of parts other than the usuall pork belly.

My recipe had 1 tsp salt per pound. Might soak it a bit longer after the cure is complete. Mine was fine after the soaking.

5. Bigtrks

Bigtrks Member

I use pork loin

6. Moodyfisherman

Moodyfisherman Member

Good Job.....making the best of the no power scenario and putting meat on the table Tup:

7. Echo Mules

Echo Mules Member

Got the last couple off the camera showing the final product with the bbbacon sliced up.

[​IMG]

Got a nice pile of sliced and the end bits for beans and cooking, vacume packed in about half pound or less packages. That should last us a bit, if I don't give so much away this time. I'm kind of light on bear sausage already, how did that happen?

[​IMG]

8. bing

bing Active Member

looks very good!!! Tup:

9. Bigtrks

Bigtrks Member

This thread got me started making a batch last weekend . I make mine out of pork loin so it's so lean it looks more like ham I cured it all week and smoked it last night and cooled it most the day today . Sure is good I just ate so much I cannt hardly move . Mmmmmmm m thanks for the post I hadn't made it in yrs I about forgot how good it was

10. fishinfoolz

fishinfoolz Active Member

Looks delicious! Tup:

11. Dimples

Dimples Well-Known Member

Looking good! We call it Geezer bacon because grandpa makes it at our house and it is good stuff. I bet he'd love a smoker like yours that is very nice. With St. Patrick's day around the corner are you going to try corned beef too?

12. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

That smoker is pretty cool. Tup:

13. bing

bing Active Member

I finally got around to curing a couple shoulders. We'll be having buckboard for breakfast in a week.

14. TheWorm

TheWorm Member

This thread kills me every time i look at it...good work!!!!

15. bing

bing Active Member

3-4 hours (cant remember exactly, too many wobbly pops) of smoke (plum, apple, cherry) and then finished 'em off in the convection oven...

had some with eggs just now...very good!! Tup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Search tags for this page

buckboard bacon

buckboard bacon brine recipe

buckboard bacon cure recipe

buckboard bacon recipe

buckboard bacon recipes
cured meatloaf
email 33739
homemade buckboard bacon brine recipe