Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My smoker broke during the cooking portion of smoking some salmon. I put the fish in the oven to finish the cooking. Is this o.k.? Will it make any difference in taste or texture? Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
The smoke is what adds the flavor to the salmon. I have a feeling it will dry out the salmon in the oven but it sounds like you have no choice. Good luck and I will be interested to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
fishinmike said:
My smoker broke during the cooking portion of smoking some salmon.
If you had already used enough chips/wood to flavor your fish and were just finishing it off with no smoke and had to use the oven versus your smoker I do not see where that would make much if any difference as long as you kept the temp of the oven the same as what your smoker would have been.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ripalip said:
Mike, I have a spare if you want it
Jim, Thanks, but I am pretty sure santa has gotten me a new one for christmas. Sea Ranger, I was done with the smoking and the salmon turned out just fine. Pretty tasty.

·
Registered
867 Posts
fishdigme said:
The smoke is what adds the flavor to the salmon. I have a feeling it will dry out the salmon in the oven but it sounds like you have no choice. Good luck and I will be interested to see how it turns out.
I actually like to finish my smoked salmon in the over becuase I think it turns out a little less dry. You got more control with the oven temps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts