Game Fishing Forum banner

Bratwurst

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Chuck S 
#1 ·
I need to find the best bratwurst in the Puget Sound area. With the Pack playing the Hawks, I have the best of both worlds. I grew up in Wisconsin, so I started out as a Packer fan. Now that I'm here (for 30 years) , I'm learning to like the Hawks. Either way, I want to find something even better than the standard Johnsonville brat's that we usually eat. Anyone have a favorite butcher that makes killer brats. Real ones, not those pale hotdog style poor excuse for a bratwurst things that some places try to pawn off to the unsuspecting public. I'm after a good, meaty, pork filled brat with some texture to it and more flavor than the average store bought brat. Eastside or Everett/Snohomish area is best, but I might travel for quality.

#2 ·
try making your own...or just take some johnsonvilles and put them into the smoker for a few hours before you lay them on the broiler...I keep telling myself to get off my fatt butt and make some but I just dont

#3 ·
The smoker solution might be the answer. I got a Traeger from my wife for Christmas, so I should be turning out some pretty decent food from now on.

#5 ·
Make a run up to Snohomish and go to the Maple Street Market. It's across the street from McDaniels Do-It center on Maple Street. They make the real deal Brat's your looking for. I got all my buddies hooked on the Jalopeno cheese brats but they have a pretty big selection. The other thing we really like from there is the old fashioned bacon cheese burgers. They grind bulk bacon into the beef along with cheese. Besides smelling good when you cook them they taste delicious when it's cooked together like that.

#7 ·
It's not exactly in your neighborhood, but Stewart's Meats in McKenna has the best brat's I've tasted this side of Mississippi and if you smoke those... man you would really have something. If you're going to go there, take a bunch of money because they have a bunch of other stuff you will want too.

#9 ·
TRAUT said:
Green River Meats (I think that's what it's called) usually has great smoked brats. There is also a German food place in Burien that has a ton to wurst. Can't remember the name of it, but it's probably in the Yellow pages.

Good Luck.
I think it's actually called Green Valley Meats

#11 ·
k, so this is my kind of thread,green valley meats has the best cheezers around. i bring a box over 100 em when we go to bamfield,never come back with any.they are good, so is his landjager .next hans german deli is the name that truat was lookin for .this place is great for homemade bockwurst,kinda like all the time for october fiest.also any kind of german your lookin for they got.

#12 ·
German bratwurst...Is reely an american kinda thing..I was in the service over in germany years ago...the german word for bread is brot...and wurst is anything like a sausage or hot dog frank..typically you just got a piece of bread that looks like a kaiser roll and a wurst that looks like a ball park frank. It was served on a paper plate with a paprika sauce on the sliced frank. You would eat a piece of the frank or wurst then tear off a hunk of the bread and dip it in the suace and eat it too...The hot dog bun is a american invention..But in america we combine the name bratwurst to give it an appeal other than hot dog by manufactures as a selling point....so what you are really talking about is a sausage or a frank...therefore make your own sausage and smoke it or buy a johnsonville or an italion sausage and smoke it too..or get the casings and spices and meat and make your own...My wifes food processor has an attachment to fill sausage casings so I can crank um out pretty easy...you can even buy pork allready ground making it easier then you just add the spices..If you dont have a machine to fill the casings you are in for a rough time doing it buy hand. But if you do it is home free all the way easy...I promise you if you get an ilialian sausage like lennons or fletchers or safeway select type and put it in the smoker then on the broiler you will be amazed how good it turns out...If you can can them at home you are reely in hogg heaven..but even freezing them in a seal a meal works good too.
http://www.sausagemania.com/tutorial.html

#13 ·
David, the bottom line is the best brats are at Uncle Yulees in the Pike Place Mkt in Seattle. Trust me, I'm a brat nut. I have never tasted anything that even compares. I go there and pick 'em up when I can get my hands on my wife's car. Parking in Seattle, in a Ford F350 crew cab, makes it a little less convenient. If it wasn't for that and having to deal with a bunch of whackjob liberals, I would go more often. I'm telling you, give it a shot and you'll be hooked. No offense if you're a lib. I forgive you. Damn, I have a way with words don't I?

#14 ·
Reelin'

You're right about the American version of Bratwurst. I can't help it, but I like them better than the German style.

Thanks for all the good leads. These should keep me busy for quite a while with brat tasting events.

#16 ·
GillRaker said:
Han's in Burien.

If any of you live near Burien, you got to try thier sausage. We had some this week and I have never had anything like it, except North Dakota sausage which I can't find anywhere.
Okay, don’t tell my cardiologist, I went to Hans Sausage and Delicatessen in Burien at lunch. WOW! What a cool place. I got 6 different types of sausage, some smoked, some not, sourdough rye bread, fresh pretzels and some hot mustard; 50 bucks worth of stuff. Their smoked/cooked sausage is excellent, excellent quality meat, not too much fat, no gristle and spiced just right. When I say spiced I don’t mean “hot� the lady told me if I wanted hot to buy the mustard. If their bockwurst and knackwurst is anything like the rest of it, I’m going to have a great lunch while I’m watching the Cougs give UCLA a basketball lesson :D .

It’s at 717 S.W. 148th St. right off Ambaum. Very friendly people and dozens of sausage/salami type products all made right there plus a nice selection of imported cheese and a bunch of other stuff I’m supposed to avoid. Tiger perch is the striped seaperch, which is blue with orange/redish stripes. The pile perch is silver with faint grayish/yellow bars on the side. The redtail surfperch is what is caught on the Wash ocean beaches and is silver with pinkish/reddish fins. The pile and striped perches are what I commonly catch in Puget Sound. I have never caught a redtail in Puget Sound. On the WA coast, the redtails can be caught on the open ocean beaches and in some of the inland sheltered waters. On the WA coast, I have never caught pile and striped perch in the open ocean beaches, but I have caught them in the marinas and jetties in the nearby more-sheltered waters.

I find the redtail surf perch to be very easy to catch, probably because they live in the surf environment where they need to feed quickly in the breakers and do not have time to examine the food. Pile and striped sea perch of the calm inland waters are much more finicky and I often see them examing a bait closely, before deciding not to bite and swim off.

With regards to finding a good spot in the breakers, look for spots that are calmer/flatter than other spots. When waves come ashore, they need to dissipate their energy. Shallow bottoms do not absorb too much energy and hence hig

#17 ·
slowleak thats place has kinda been , a good kept almost secret for alot of years for the hard core german folks. people come from miles around for thier german meats and sausage .your right, they make almost all there sausages.i run up there for my fill of white bockwurst,old fashion hotdogs,liverwurst in i dont know how many differant types..they double smoke there bacon.years ago,they usta make this meat spread that the germans usta eat raw.99% no fat chopmeat, acouple of eggs,spread it rye bread some german mustard, big scoop of german potatoe salald.my opa use to eat the stuff.when i got back for the service ,we moved to burien for a couple of years,that place was home away from home.think they still make that spread but only on saterdays.next time you go in for lunch have them make ya a liverwurst sandwich,.i have them put diffuent types of wurst on at one time. so good. sorry my passion for good food got the best of me again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.