Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story arrived via email, not my story!

As many of you know by now, I had late season success this year with my bow. I anchored an awesome 9 pointer on Dec 29th. This buck is everything I'm looking for as a hunter. He's big and mature, weighing in at 175lbs field dressed. Based on trail cam photos he's probably 5 1/2 years old or more. His rack is heavy with neat character and scores around 130". Just an awesome deer!

Some of you also know that I shot this deer out of my Dad's stand. He sat there all season and didn't see a buck. I had never even been in his stand before that night. I did make him promise not to be mad at me if something happened. Obviously something happened! Thanks Dad!

Now, what most of you don't know is what Paul Harvey would call "the rest of the story". A few days after harvesting this deer it was time to make a trip to my taxidermist, David Luko. No better feeling than a trip to the taxidermist! A day later I got a call from David who simply told me he had something for me to see and that I should come right away. It turns out that David had found something while sawing off the antlers. What he found was truly amazing! This buck had a broadhead in his head, not just in his head, but through his skull and into his brain. Let me assure you, it wasn't my broadhead, it was from someone else at another time in this deer's life! The broadhead had imbedded into his skull, his brain and through his jaw. It amazes me to this day how this deer could have lived through such an injury. It had to cause some sort of brain damage! His brain was actually green where the broadhead was. It had to hurt like heck every time he ate, he could only open his jaw slightly. His teeth were even worn more on his good side then on his hurt side. The way everything had healed over it had to happen at least a year or more ago? No way to tell. This was some tough animal!

I can't help but be amazed by God's creation each and every time I take to the field! I'm truly blessed to receive the opportunities and the successes that I have gotten in my hunting and fishing career. This is just one of many that God has blessed me with! If you ever want to know more, just ask me! Thanks and may God bless you the way he has me!

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Thanks for the pics. The story is truly amazing. The vitality of some of the creatures out there is beyond belief. I wonder if, because of their rutting season head bashing, perhaps they can take a bit more trauma to the brain area than one might believe possible. Obviously the arrow head did not interrupt any process that was critical to life or locomotion. Amazing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
WOW!!! I wouldn't have thought that possible...:shock: It's so true God has made some amazing creatures for us to enjoy! Tup:

·
Registered
832 Posts
GillRaker said:
RiverTraveler said:
WOW!!! It's so true God has made some amazing creatures for us to enjoy! Tup:
Enjoy? or torture?

Sorry about that, but it makes me sick to my stomach.
GillRaker,
Sorry if my post was unclear... In no way am i saying that it's good that this creature walked around with a arrow in it's head for the last year. My comment was in reference to the fact that this is an awesome creature that was harvested legally and ethically.

It is also amazing that God creates creatures (including us) that are able to withstand such an injury and still live another day. Much like the guy that accidently gets shot in the head with a nail gun and is on the 6 o'clock news to talk about it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
RiverT,
I understood your intent, but it was just an easy flip for me to display my feelings on that deer's life after viewing the picture.

Anyway, it's one nice big whitetail.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And to be clear, as said in the first line, that was not my buck, just passing on a story.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Cool story, I'm always surprised of the stories that come out after every new hunting season..

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
That's a cool story. Definately a buck to be proud of.

I have to wonder if it's true or not. I don't know what a broadhead might look like after being in an animal for a year or more, but that broadhead looks pretty clean. Then again, I guess the skull has been cleaned, so maybe the broadhead was shined up too. Eitherway, cool story!

·
2,222 Posts
I have seen a number of damaged , healed skulls of lions and bears where either fighting or other wounds have caused serious injury. I've even shot a ram with an old broadhead embedded into one horn. But I've never seen a broadhead into the brain. This must have been a very long shot, or a light draw weight. For that little penetration. At under 30 yards any muzzy head from 60 plus pounds of draw weight would have drilled much deeper if not clean through. It does not look like that old of a wound, likly not more then a year. Usually metal like this through bone would have had the bone growing all around it and secure to the metal after a few years. This bone still looks freshly penetrated. I would guess it was from the last season or simply from some idiot shooting deer whenever he wants. Very interesting for sure!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts