Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 12v 55 lb 54" bow mount work okay on my 18 Seahawk. I wanted to stay with the 12v so I could interchange with a small boat. If I put two 12v in the Seahawk, or 2 6volts together. Would the 55lb thrust be enough for trolling or steering assistance with the kicker. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I used to have an 18 ft Hewescraft Searunner with a 24 volt Minnkota bowmount with 60 or 70 pounds of thrust and I felt that was the minimum for what I was doing, trolling in lakes and using it for bow control in rivers. I think it is more of a battery charge issue than thrust since if you are under powered you will tend to run it on a higher speed and run the battery down faster. The 12/55 would probably move the boat just fine but you may only get 4-6 hours of trolling on a charge depending on speed, wind, current ect. I would often take that boat on 2-3 day trips where there was no way to charge the batteries so battery life was important. One advantage of a 12 v motor is that you can bring an extra battery to change out if needed, depending on how you plan to use it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SeaWalker said:
I used to have an 18 ft Hewescraft Searunner with a 24 volt Minnkota bowmount with 60 or 70 pounds of thrust and I felt that was the minimum for what I was doing, trolling in lakes and using it for bow control in rivers. I think it is more of a battery charge issue than thrust since if you are under powered you will tend to run it on a higher speed and run the battery down faster. The 12/55 would probably move the boat just fine but you may only get 4-6 hours of trolling on a charge depending on speed, wind, current ect. I would often take that boat on 2-3 day trips where there was no way to charge the batteries so battery life was important. One advantage of a 12 v motor is that you can bring an extra battery to change out if needed, depending on how you plan to use it.
Seawalker- how long would your 24v system go on a full charge?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Fish,
I have that motor on a 16ft Wooldridge. Plenty of power for lakes but marginal in rivers with any current. I would consider selling mine if you are interested in a used one. I live on Lake Goodwin and can demo so you could see for yourself. Let me know if you are interested.
JAM

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
This is unrelated to your question, sorry.
But for anyone that has a Minn Kota Auto Pilot that loses it bearing and starts to spin in a circle on it's own. I have the directions to fix this. It's quiet common for some models and it did happen to me. It's pretty easy to fix.
Just PM me and I'll try to get it to anyone that needs it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts