Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last fall a friend of mine loaded me up with 6 quart jars of cured, frozen eggs that he had in the freezer. He had sealed them in mason jars but they are a year old.
I opened a jar up 3 weeks ago to pull out 1/3 of the skeins for a day trip on the Green.
By his suggestion, I cut the skeins that I figured that I would use for the day into bite sized morsels, patted them dry then put them into ziplock with a buttload of boraxo. Shake and bake style covering all parts of the clusters.
My first question is if the eggs are over a year old are they any good. And if so after thawed how long can they stay in the fridge knowing that the cure juice is covering them, but still unsealed?
Second is Boraxo used on the bite sized pieces for the day essential? Or can I use just the pieces without the powdered mess?

Thanks for the responses

Jim

·
Registered
200,908 Posts
I hope you mean borax and not boraxo which is a soap. Personally I powder mine after cutting to stop the bleeding, but I have done it both ways and never had any problems.
One year old eggs, if they were put up properly and stored properly, will be just fine for steelhead. As I am sure someone will point out steelhead are sight feeders. If I were going after say springers, then I would want very fresh eggs.
Just my humble opinion

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How embarrasing :oops:

No wonder fish were blowing bubbles and not biting.

Another reason I love this site. CLARIFICATION is great.

Thanks Phatjak

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
FLOUNDER1 said:

Thanks Phatjak
A buddy of mine did the borax-boraxo mistake to a 5 gallon bucket of eggs he brought down from Alaska. His nickname for awhile was Lawrance Welk, tiny bubbles....... :lol:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
FLOUNDER1 said:

Thanks Phatjak
Easy mistake if your new to curing eggs. But that's funny!! :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Very funny!! I think the borax may be a good idea. It's tough to say without seeing the eggs. You may want to try a couple different ways.

I would think that the eggs will only be good for a week or so once thawed. I would just thaw what you need and save the rest for the next time. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Borax cuts down on the egg gooo. Try not to get to caught up in the question are my eggs good or not, just keep a new bait on, positive attitude and make good drifts. You will have a better time on the river.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i cut my bait into bait size pieces befour i cure my eggs. after i strain them i hand roll each bait in the borax. i do this to keep my hands from turning pink, but i dont think it matters which way u do it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn

Soooooo Embarrassed

Sorry for the late response. It was Bowling night.

Thanks too all that responded.

Once I was told that if you did'nt LEARN something NEW today then you didnt learn anything at all.

Glad I woke up......

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
do you all use the 20 mule team. I was informed that that is the same Borax sold in the tackel shop w/o the high price

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I use the 20 mule power and I add some raspberry jello. Thats how my dad made them for 30+ years and he brought home fish.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have had success on vacum sealed eggs that were in my freezer for who knows how long until I started labeling them before they go into the freezer. Caught silvers, springers, as well as steelhead on them. IMO if you cure and store properly they should work for a long time, how long I do not know. That's a good question what are they oldest eggs anyone out there has had good success with?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
spareoar said:
I have had success on vacum sealed eggs that were in my freezer for who knows how long until I started labeling them before they go into the freezer. Caught silvers, springers, as well as steelhead on them. IMO if you cure and store properly they should work for a long time, how long I do not know. That's a good question what are they oldest eggs anyone out there has had good success with?[/
4 years. I have some that are older than that, which I am sure will work. I store them in the fridge (regular plastic tupperware containers--no vac packing), so that I do not get freezer burn

·
Registered
234 Posts
volynsky said:
spareoar said:
I have had success on vacum sealed eggs that were in my freezer for who knows how long until I started labeling them before they go into the freezer. Caught silvers, springers, as well as steelhead on them. IMO if you cure and store properly they should work for a long time, how long I do not know. That's a good question what are they oldest eggs anyone out there has had good success with?[/
4 years. I have some that are older than that, which I am sure will work. I store them in the fridge (regular plastic tupperware containers--no vac packing), so that I do not get freezer burn
You may want to try using saran wrap prior to putting your eggs in a vac bag. All my fish as well as eggs go in the freezer and I do not get the freezer burn. It also depends on if you have a frost free freezer (which goes through a heat cycle to remove the frost build up). Good reason for freezer burn.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The only fish I have had freezer burn is when the seal gets broken while shuffling crap arround in the freezer. My only problem is when I put my eggs in the freezer they are nice and firm, but when I take them out of the freezer they are always softer than when I put them in. I always have to take them out in advance to dry them to my liking for what I am going to be doing with them. Any suggestions or solutions to this problem would be greatly appreciated. Tup:

G

·
spareoar said:
The only fish I have had freezer burn is when the seal gets broken while shuffling crap arround in the freezer. My only problem is when I put my eggs in the freezer they are nice and firm, but when I take them out of the freezer they are always softer than when I put them in. I always have to take them out in advance to dry them to my liking for what I am going to be doing with them. Any suggestions or solutions to this problem would be greatly appreciated. Tup:
Freeze your eggs solid first, before vac packing. This prevents the pressure from the vac packing from crushing soft (unfrozen) eggs.

When thawing, cut open the bag to release the pressure and then thaw. If you thaw frozen eggs with the bag still sealed, the pressure from the vac packing will crush some eggs as they thaw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts