Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have seen B&C make some odd decisions the way they keep records. I suppose that as the saying goes you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.

In many cases B&C just does things that are in very poor judgement and without what seems like a lot of thought. I could list several things to point out my issues. For a couple examples Pick-ups are allowed entry, yet it's a hunting organization. At the same time they don't allow game from controlled areas, like a reservation when the game is shot out of state legal seasons. A brown bear on the coast of Alaska walking down the shore crossing into Canda becomes a Grizzly bear. There are no brown bears in Canada. Hmmmm Where are most of the record book grizzlies from? You guessed it Bella Coola on the coast of BC near Alaska. Shooting contained game from a tree as in lions and bears quite allright, but shooting a deer on 15,000 acres in Texas not okay.

However this new situation blows me away. A fella shot a whitetail deer in Il. this past November. He shot it with a muzzle loader, completely legal, everything legit. This Whitetail would be #2 nontypical all time. Scoring over 280 B&C points. B&C will not accept it into the book..........Why?

Because they don't accept any deer in Velvet. This deer has some raggedy velvet remaining and it's not allowed into the book. It's without question one of the most massive racks I've ever seen on a Whitetail. Maybe the most massive non-typical deer I've ever seen.

I don't know about the rest of you folks but this whole Gross score, Net score........ well Everyone I know hunts trophies for Mass not perfect balance. I don't think I've ever met a guy in my life that would pass on this deer because it was not perfectly balanced. Or see it with another deer and choose the smaller one to fill his tag. Nets are for fishing, not for scoring trophies! To prevent this massive animal from entry is simply poor judgement and reduces the credibility of B&C even further in my opinion.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
I don't understand why deer in velvet are not allowed?

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not read or seen an official statement from them on this. However I would guess it's because the antler mass in not fully developed and they prefer to allow the big game to mature completely for the maximum score. They have a lot of wierd thoughts on trophies. Just like taking a deduction from the score for any imbalance of points. If both sides of a rack are not the same they deduct points! That's why they have a gross score for the total, and then a "net" score for the measure after the imbalance deductions. What a joke! Who turns down a bigger animal becuase it may not be balanced?

However you can enter an animal you find dead, or shot from a tree bayed up and held there by dogs, but you cannot enter a deer from a 15K acre "high fenced" land in Texas? Yet they are the self proclaimed "Fair Chase" experts. How is shooting a bear out of a tree fair chase? How is that deer on 15,000 acres of thorn scrub not fair chase? B&C has lost so much credibility in the view of so many people myself included.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I believe you are correct JJ. It's the mass that they will not allow because of the velvet. I heard that you can remove the velvet and then B&C can score them.
I don't understand there(B & C) different processes to allow animals or not either. You can enter one that is found dead(could have been shot illegally) or one that has been harvasted 50 years ago by someone that could have been shot behind a fence but no one knows. It doesn't make any sense.

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Velvet varies in thickness and density and would make the score different for every buck and if measured the day it died VS a year later, and then another year or more after that. The Velvet is changing as it dries and is an inconsistant substance.

B&C has a lot of inconsistant rules but it's also a private club. If folks don't like the rules they don't have to enter the trophy. SCI will take them so people can enter it there. SCI is by a large margin much bigger then B&C and it's an international scoring system as well.

B&C is good for hunting, but clearly has some wierd rules for entry.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't quite understand B&C, but I know I would not let that buck pass through my scope in hope of one without velvet. I am not a"trophy" hunter, but I would be damn proud to shoot that buck regardless of who the "Judge" is!! Very Nice buck, and it should be given the respect it is due by B&C....in my opinion!

·
Registered
311 Posts
JJHACK said:
Velvet varies in thickness and density and would make the score different for every buck and if measured the day it died VS a year later, and then another year or more after that. The Velvet is changing as it dries and is an inconsistant substance.
That would be my guess as to why they don't allow velvet animals in the book and personally I think it's a good decision. Seems to me that if a person chooses to scrape off the velvet after shooting the animal B&C should allow scoring...not sure whether B&C feels the same.

I agree with you on the gross vs. net scoring. Seems like they put a lot more emphasis on the net score, but it doesn't reflect the true size of the rack. Having to take deductions on an unbalanced or non-typical rack sucks--especially if you're the guy who shot it. Tdown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts