Gamefishin.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious if a 15-18' Hewescraft River Runner or Smoker Craft Alaskan can fish up in the Sound and Sekiu. At most the boat would have 3 guys in it. I know it can get quite choppy out there but just looking for others who have the same class of boat to chime in. Hows the ride? Is three to many in that length of boat?

The reason for these choices is I would also like to be able to hit the rivers/lakes depending on where the boat is being stored. Also the price range is right where i want to be at (around 7k).

Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
390 Posts
On a good day I would say yes if you have sufficient saltwater experience. But on sketchy days your life is not worth a fish or two....
I have an 18' Jetcraft with an 80 Johnson jet and will not take it into the big pond or Sound due to the shallow V of 6 degrees and it will beat you to death in the chop. Just my preference to stay in the Bay and river mouths.
Be safe and ALWAYS WEAR A PFD!!!!

Reactions: OLD FB

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
A 15-ft boat is vastly different than an 18. I'd say 15, not comfortably or safely for three guys. An 18 would be fine in the Sound on most days and OK at Sekiu on the "Right" weather days, assuming you're not planning to go far from the docks, or way out into the middle of the Strait.

My first boat was a 16-ft open/tiller Lund. I ran that thing all-over the Puget Sound and the San Juans. Never in too rough of weather tho.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Emphasis on Steelheadr's comment about 6 degree V.........running against a 1 foot wind chop is brutal. I have similar boat and have therefore ALSO isolated my boating to bays and smaller water of the sound.........and right out front of Olson's when the chop further out is too much (for kings).

·
Registered
179 Posts
17' - 18' is all you need for the Sound and Sekiu. Maybe some days you'll get blown off the water, but people in bigger boats get blown off the water on some days, too.

I fished for years and years in a 15' Arima, including Neah Bay and Sekiu. That's too small for 3 comfortably to fish, although I frequently did it.

The Hewescraft is a good boat for the range of use you are talking about, although I think getting a 17' for $7k may take some creativity. The main advice I can offer is to really focus on getting a good motor-- a 4 stroke or ETEC would be my plug, so you will have a dependable, enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I run a 18' Alumaweld Intruder and have done both (Sekiu & PS), perfect for 3 guys and did well, running as far to area 4 from Sekiu. Just keep a close eye on conditions and you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
either would be fine for the waters listed on most days. the 15 is too cramped and not stable enough for 3 guys though imo. also I wouldn't want DRs on a 15. id start at 16. id also consider the tiller version to save room. the resorts at sekiu all rent 16ft fiberglass boats and they do fine up there. used to rent them. theyre a bit more seaworthy than a similar sized alum though due to more ballast, weight and more stability.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well I don't know. Not sure I'd give a hall pass on a 16 open/tiller at the straight. Go around Pillar point on a sunny afternoon and have the westerlies pick up? No friggin way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts