Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick Q.. I heard a guy talking about catching black cod in Ma6. I think he was confusing them for something else.. anyone ever came across black cod in the sound?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
If you mean "Black Cod" as in Sablefish... then I don't think there are many... if any in Puget Sound. Don't know for sure though?

Black Rockfish or "Rock cod" are I believe.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Webo

I meant as in Sablefish (black cod).. You are correct about the black rockfish are around here, But i am not sure on Black Cod. thats why i think he was confusing the two. He swears upon black cod though. conf:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
As Fish Boy said there were plenty to be had before the draggers showed up and tore up Puget Sound, (all with the blessing of the WDFW :evil: :evil: :evil: ).

As a youngster in the 70's I was able to catch them regularly between Manchester and Blake Island along with them showing up here and there.

Sure miss those long summer days fishing for just about any species you wanted or could imangine.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I used to catch a ton of Sablefish at Possesion back in the late 80s early 90s.

I haven't caught one since then though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hunter P said:
I used to catch a ton of Sablefish at Possesion back in the late 80s early 90s.

I haven't caught one since then though.
...don't know about 'a ton', but I'd echo that time period. Found patches all over (at least in the north & central) sound as well as the strait. Bumped into a couple up sekiu way in the last decade. Absolutely delicious when you found 'em.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I would be surprized if there were not a few here, and there, but I'm not sure. I use to catch them years back also.
Black Cod are usually a deep water fish, but I caught them in the Sound under 200' fairly regularly. Back in those days, anything that was'nt a salmon almost always went back in the water. It was a scrape fish. I'd kill for a good pile of gray cod these days....but I still don't care for black cod unless its smoked.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
i usto catch them in quatermaster harbor jiging in 60ft of water-- only a certain time of the year tho
that was in the late 70s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts