Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to do something I swore never to do, buy an expensive rod, IE: Loomis Lami or what ever. My reasoning is this. I am unable to get out as much as I used to or even want to. Therefore being as best armed as possible I need the finest equipment possible. So here is my dilemma Having sworn never to pay high dollar, I have bypassed the real expensive rods. I have been looking at the Loomis rods in the $300 range but am wondering if something less expensive is just as good. So what is the opinion here? Please no "rod wars", just good advise.

Going to edit this to say what I forgot earlier.
I have 5 custom built Lami's that I built myself back a couple of years. I also have three purchased Lamies and a couple of Burkleys. Have taught Steelhead class's at the local C college so I think I know what I'm doing. I'm after something in the 9 to 9-1/2 foot range that will handle steelies. Again, I haven't kept up on the top end rods so I'm a little ignorant concerning them.
I have read the posts that have replied as of this time, 2:00 PM and appreciate the information provided.
Just one last question. I notice the blank is bare on the reel seat on some of the G. Loomis. That seems like a great bonus in detecting the bite. Have those of you who do fish Loomis found that to be a large advantage over some other rods you fish with?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Depends on the type of fishing you're going to be doing. I love the couple loomis rods I've got and fish them pretty extensively although I do see a lami in my near future. One nice overall rod is the lami cert pro 9'6 6-15 lb test casting rod (forgot the model number). Can be used for float fishing, drift fishing, tossing spoons and spinners, you name it. Thats the lami I'm looking to pick up anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you are truly looking at high end rods, you could look at Sage as well. They are pretty expensive, around the same price as a Loomix GLX or IMX, but the people who own them, swear by them from what I've heard from them.

the kid 2 said:
I have decided to do something I swore never to do, buy an expensive rod, IE: Loomis Lami or what ever. My reasoning is this. I am unable to get out as much as I used to or even want to. Therefore being as best armed as possible I need the finest equipment possible. So here is my dilemma Having sworn never to pay high dollar, I have bypassed the real expensive rods. I have been looking at the Loomis rods in the $300 range but am wondering if something less expensive is just as good. So what is the opinion here? Please no "rod wars", just good advise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my opionion, I believe it all subjective. If you think it will help you catch more fish, then I say go for it!

The way that I go about all my purchases (fishing related or other) is to get what I REALLY want the first time, and not second guess my self. The thing I hate the most is having that "I should have" notion after a purchase.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If you buy a Loomis, buy a used one. There is one or two in the classifieds. You'll save a bunch of money. You can always upgrade to a new one, by using the $50 Loomis Expediter service, if the used rod breaks or has some damage--just make sure that the price of the used rod + the $50 does not exceed full MSRP.

G

·
Im glad to hear your biting the bullet! I have too many Expensive rods personally, that being said i have broken all of the brands and dealt with all warranty services and caught fish on all of them, IMO #1 would be sage, the sage rods are the best all around with the best warranty they retail at about $500, GLoomis GL3 series rods have been my best bets, they are the most sensitive and durable combined, theyre warranty dept is FAST and $50. No BS. I would also look at Fetha Styxx i have some of them and they are very nice, more custom than the others. good warranty but a smaller company. Lamiglas builds a nice rod but they have given me and most of my friends long turn over times and big bills, like $88 $94 etc bills for broken rods. I love the Cert Pros especially herzogs designs, i have no patience for down time on my rods and i hate getting a bill. All that aside I use a Shimano 10' 8-17 convergence more than anything. Im lazy and just float fish, it has the backbone to handle a big fish free warranty and i can beat the hell out of it and nothing happens to it, if it gets stolen 59.99...In 07 i caught a 36lb Chinook in the salt on it off a rigger, then the next wednesday a 16lb summerrun drift fishing in the sky...

so my answer to your question is an 1143GL3 Loomis is the best $300 all around rod for action quality and warranty, there are many people on here who love that rod.

·
Registered
867 Posts
fishforfun said:
Depends on the type of fishing you're going to be doing. I love the couple loomis rods I've got and fish them pretty extensively although I do see a lami in my near future. One nice overall rod is the lami cert pro 9'6 6-15 lb test casting rod (forgot the model number). Can be used for float fishing, drift fishing, tossing spoons and spinners, you name it. Thats the lami I'm looking to pick up anyway.
I second this rod as a great all rounder. Plus you should be able to find it for less then $200 in the cork handle or around $200 for the graphite handle.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Don't forget to look at the St. Croix avid series very nice rods.They will come in well under your 300.00 limit. Fetha Styx also makes a nice feeling rod. I own a Loomis but I am not sure the value is as high as some of the others manufactures.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Whatever you buy,be sure to look at having it custom built. You can buy any of the high end rods as blanks and have a quality builder make something WAY nicer than you'll get from a factory rod.

I've looked at Loomis and Lamiglas rods and the workmanship isn't what I'd expect from a rod costing as much as they do.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hunter P said:
Whatever you buy,be sure to look at having it custom built. You can buy any of the high end rods as blanks and have a quality builder make something WAY nicer than you'll get from a factory rod.

I've looked at Loomis and Lamiglas rods and the workmanship isn't what I'd expect from a rod costing as much as they do.
I agree with that. I think the most important factor is finding the rod that fits you and your fishing style. What works for me could very well be total unfishable for the next guy.So determine what you will use it for length of rod and action then find one that feels right.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would suggest Rogue Rods if you are not in a hurry they will have a booth at the Puyallup Sportsmans Show you can put your hand on all of them if you need it right away go online you can order from them. IMO

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Lami Cert Pro X 10 MTC Herzog. Its 10', 8-17# rated, with a fast action. Perfect all around rod. You can float fish with it, throw spoons, drift with it, pretty much anything. Its $199 at sportsmans so not too badly priced. Pair it up with a nice reel such as a curado or the new Quantum PT, which is totally sweet you can cast the lightest weight with ease.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
srchn4salmon said:
Lami Cert Pro X 10 MTC Herzog. Its 10', 8-17# rated, with a fast action. Perfect all around rod. You can float fish with it, throw spoons, drift with it, pretty much anything. Its $199 at sportsmans so not too badly priced. Pair it up with a nice reel such as a curado or the new Quantum PT, which is totally sweet you can cast the lightest weight with ease.
I couldn't argue against that combo. With the 50.00 rebate from shimano and quantum along with a deal at the sportsman show that would be tempting.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I've played around with the new St Croix Avids. WOW. Light as a feather. One of the minor complaints about the older Avids was that they were a little bit heavier, or they were perceived to be heavier because of the bigger physical size of the blank. But the new ones, oh my. Light and very sensitive. Plus with their new $50 expedite warranty, I would seriously look into the new Avids.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I fly fish most of the time but in the winter I go with the conventional gear. All of my fly rods are Loomis and Sage. I have 11 fly rods between the two. But, for conventional gear for steelhead I just couldn't see paying that kind of money ($585.00 to $630.00). I have three of the Certified Pro Lami's. Two are spinning and the other is for a bait caster. They are all 9.6' and they are more than enough. They cost around $200.00 although I found one in Forks at the Outfitters for $139.95! Go figure! These rods are great. They are well made and can stand up to any other steelhead rod. I can assure you that even if the Loomis is a tad better as far as being sensitive, I sure as h3ll couldn't tell the difference. I use the bait caster for floats and the two spinning rods for what ever. When I float the rivers I like to have a few rods ready to rock. There is no question that Sage and Loomis make incredible rods although I did not know that Sage makes conventional rods as one person implied (I may be wrong but I don't think they do) but I simply can't see enough difference to pay the extra cash. I broke two of my Lami's in one idiotic step out of the boat and they charged me a fair price to fix them. I will say that Sage and Loomis have an incredible replacement program. (At least when it comes to their fly rods.) I really think the Lami's are the way to go. Good luck!

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
What he said :D :arrow:
madcapmag said:
I've played around with the new St Croix Avids. WOW. Light as a feather. One of the minor complaints about the older Avids was that they were a little bit heavier, or they were perceived to be heavier because of the bigger physical size of the blank. But the new ones, oh my. Light and very sensitive. Plus with their new $50 expedite warranty, I would seriously look into the new Avids.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree with hunter p. I have sage and loomis rods the sage is THE best imo. You can get their blank for about 240 retail then go with the good stuff from there. You can go to auburn sports and marine to hold one just be careful as you will want to take one home. Loomis, Sage, and St croix all have great policys on returning and getting back broken rods, I have never had to pay anything on my IMX Loomis and they were all pretty much my own fault. You get what u pay for and when you buy a high end rod you are paying for the future ones you may or may not need when and if you break one. The feel and sensitivity and lightness are what they are all about. I have a friend who has an 1143 IMX Loomis that he loves , I let him Fish with my 286f Sage , Medium, fast action 6-15 line rating one day and now he jonesing but at $485 you had better hold it in your hand and check it out first, And like I said you can build the same rod cheaper and have the same warranty on the blank, good luck. :lol:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Take a look at the Sage in the classifieds that Scalecarp is selling. It would be perfect for what you are looking for and a steal. If its still their. Tup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts