Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i wouldnt feel safe if i had a tank between me and that thing. thats a buriser. wonder how many of what it took to take that thing down. RPG might get the job done nuke:

·
2,222 Posts
I've had a number of hunters, more then 1/2 I would estimate that hunted with me in Alaska with Archery for Bronw bears that used a gun after the first 50 yard encounter. Once they were alone and closing the distance from 70, 60, 50, 40ish. They saw how big these bears were and hid til the bear left. The next stalk was with a gun. Plenty of the archery hunters shot no bear due to the difficulty in getting close enough and having a good quartering away shot. Many shot really great bears without a struggle.

However I would say that half or more were done with the bow after the first close stalk. Same can be said for the goat hunters. About half quit the hunt after the first day or so due to the steep snow fields, and roped together with crampons and the elevations. Quite a lot suggested they might prefer a black bear hunt on the coast rather then hunt the goats up in the rocks and snow.

Gotta strongly consider doing these tough physical hunts before you're 40 years old, unless you have really stayed in top shape. Many guys of average fitness can do the first day Okay, but the next morning is hard. The third morning is usually a deal breaker of sore muscles and bad blisters. The dream of the big billy becomes out of reach. There is often quite a difference between who we are, and who we would like to be. At high elevation in steep country on packed ice........you learn quickly who you really are. Same can be said for 35 yards from a big brown bear while hiding behind a small bush with a bow and arrow!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Interesting......Some of those same points came to mind a few years back while deciding if I wanted to hunt sheep up North a few years back. If you talk to a few guide's you'll notice they are sizing you up also. Thats their job! To let you know you were really put on this earth to suffer, and be miserable....They have probably seen enough clients screw up thier trip, and spend their hard earned cash on a dream hunt they are not ready for. That would really be a bummer, and not what the outfitter wants either. Your success is good for his business.
Guess half of us better shoot on the first day....

·
Registered
701 Posts
Those are very good points.. personally id like to think I could still bow hunt a brown bear.. when I was in alaska on some rivers guiding those guys would pop out of the brush within 10ft of me at times, thats a scary thing to see, thankfully they wanted salmon and not PAUL for dinner.. very scary none the less but I figure if I didnt crap myself from that id be ok with my Hoyt In hand... one day when im rich... One day

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My cousin sent me the same article. He lives in Anchorage as well. Looks like I will be heading to Kodiak this November for deer. Flying out of Seattle to Anchorage, then my cuz's plane (plus a couple of his friends planes as well) to Kodiak. They are applying for bear tags. Im not going to (due to Alaska's rule on guide or first relative law). Should be a good time. Went there in 2004 to hunt moose and was really succesful. :D Tup: By the way, when I was up there, I didnt see any brown's that big. That is one big bear!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts