Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to all contact our legislators and let them know about our feelings on tlhis bill, the commercials want to mandate that the DFWF manage the Puget Sound Commercial fishery to maximize the commercial benefit. We better get on the stick this, you can go to http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx
, find your senator and reps and email them all with one email. Yikes

·
Registered
72 Posts
ITs clear the intent of the bill is to expand commercial fishing. There seems to be additional focus on fishing in mixed stock areas.

Looks like a mess, but its hard to read all that legalease. Good grief.

Here is what I sent my representatives. The SB is 6337, HB is 2944

Please vote agains HB2944.
This bill appears to promote the expansion and liberalization of the commercial fishing for Puget Sound salmon stocks. Any modification of Puget Sound management in this time of ESA salmonid listings and multi-million dollar salmon recovery efforts should carefully consider potential impacts on threatened and endangered stocks. The proposed bill would circumvent the scientific management and recovery practices in place at WDFW. The current WDFW/tribal management practices aim to balance restoring wild salmonid runs while allowing some sustainable fishing where appropriate. This bill would skew the management towards harvest at the expense of recovery. The legislature needs to bear in mind that extensive commercial harvest of Puget sound salmonids occurs in tribal fisheries. The economic and food industry objectives of this bill can easily be attained through cooperation with tribal harvests already occurring locally within the WDFW/tribal scientific management scheme. Increased commercial harvest is not necessary to meet the economic or food industry objectives. At its heart this bill is an effort to permit the over-exploitation of an already threatened public samonid resource, for the sake of the short term economic benefit of a very few.
I want my children to grow up in a state with abundant wild Puget sound salmon stocks, do not sell out our public resource for the potential short term monetary gain of a very few. Now is not the time to play political or economic games with our Puget sound salmonid stocks. Careful conservative scientific based management practices must be coupled with habitat protection and restoration to recover these stocks as rapidly as possible.
Again, please vote against HB2944 it will inhibit salmon recovery efforts. Do not hesitate to contact me if you would like further input on this issue.
Thank-you for your attention,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts