Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have decided that if I catch a King over 45 lbs, a Ling over 45 lbs, or a barn door halibut: that I would take the fish (or halibut tail) to a taxidermist and have it mounted. I have never had a fish mounted before So I am looking for a little info. on the following:

1. Who is the best taxidermist around that i should do business with?
2. if I catch a fish that I decide I want to mount, what do I have to do to preserve the fish? Do i need to freeze it whole? How soon do I need to get it to the taxidermist?
3. What are the different kinds of mounts that I can have done? Skin Mount? Replica mount (take fish measurments)? What other kinds are there and what are the advantages/disadvantages?
4. How big does a certain species of fish have to be before you will have it mounted?
5. How much would a 45 lb samon costs to have done? $5000? How much would a halibut tail costs?

Tight lines!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I had a fiberglass replica of a 50lbs. king done back in 97, I had it done by Lyons & O'Haver in Calif. and by the time everything was said and done it cost about $1000. The only other replica I've seen better was D. Campbell. I would also recommend going with a reputable taxidermist, I think you get what you pay for, A buddy of mine has a 57 lbs. king on his wall that was done considerably cheaper then mine and it shows, both were chrome bright ocean fish, mine looks just like it did when I caught it, his is a nice shade of gray.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nicely done. I contacted Dave about his work. He seems like he is a very detailed oriented, high quality person. I will definitely be going with him when I catch my trophy. It sounds like replica is the way to go. Did you take pictures of your halibut and of the tail so that the markings matched up?

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is a cropped Photo that I gave Dave of the Butt, that he used for reference...Take as many photos with a good digital camera that you can,close up, different angles to capture all the details...For salmon ,take them while the fish is alive, It makes a big difference in the coloration and muscle tone...bottom fish also take the photos as soon as possible, as you can see with Lings& Butts they change after they sit in the fish box or cooler...Dave is excellent at capturing the smallest details,which sets his work apart from everyone elses...Once you have one of his mounts..You will be able to easily recognize his work from everyone elses...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
spanish fly said:
..Dave is excellent at capturing the smallest details,which sets his work apart from everyone elses...Once you have one of his mounts..You will be able to easily recognize his work from everyone elses...
You must not have seen any of Luke Filmers work. Dave and Luke are pretty equal in quality.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Whats the attraction to having a Halibut tail mounted?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you catch a fish of a lifetime, at least for me, it is getting mounted. Now I am not going to go mount the whole halibut, just the tail. I don't know anybody that mounts a whole halibut except for a Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas type store. I can't speak for the rest of the fishing community, but I will say this. You don't mount a fish because it looks pretty on the wall. You could raid a tropical fish tank for that. You mount that fish because it represents the years or hard work put in to catch a fish like that, the preparation needed (having the boat just right, have the gear just right), the research, and the fact that there are only a very small percentage of anglers in the world that catch fish that size. The mounted fish represents a story that needs to be told. If you caught a halibut over 100 lbs (and even some over 70 lbs), you are going to have a story to tell. Halibut tail is the closest thing to a whale tale that you can mount and put on your mantle. I have never seen anyone mount a lingcod either because they are pretty ugly, but you can be that I would do it. This is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Duroboat said"You must not have seen any of Luke Filmers work. Dave and Luke are pretty equal in quality."

I personally Know both Luke and Dave and I am very familiar with their work..Since the subject of this thread is Taxidermist...My recomendation Is Dave, Luke is a fish artist: He purchases a fish blank and paints it...Which limits your options when it comes to choosing between skin mount versus reproduction...IN fact the two trout in the picture are both of Dave's blanks...I know from pesonal experience that when it comes down to choosing between skin or reproduction ,most of us want our own fish...Not a copy of someone elses..I was just giving my opinion for what its worth ,given the question of this thread...But as customer's we can choose who we want. Its a matter of personal preference... :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
"The mounted fish represents a story that needs to be told."

I have never heard of anybody mounting a halibut tail either, but I have to agree with the motivation and explanation. I have a picture of a 73 lb halibut I caught, harpooned and drug into the boat by myself. It's sitting near my desk at work and the story get's told whenever any body comments on the picture.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
spanish fly said:
I know from pesonal experience that when it comes down to choosing between skin or reproduction ,most of us want our own fish...Not a copy of someone elses.
I know there have been many polls asking the question real or repo. Here and on other fishing sites. And every one that I have seen came out with the reproductions being more desired hands down.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I personally, would want a reproduction because they last longer, but I can understand why a guy would want the actual fish. First...I need a fish to mount though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts