Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new baitcasting reel from Cabelas for the new Okuma rod that I got for xmas.I have some experience with baitcasters before when I had an older Ambassedeur but I kinda got away from it and went back to strickly spinning for certain reasons like It was really hard to cast lighter weight when fishing slower drifts,but I also did like them better in other reasons like it seems you have more control of the drag using your thumb when fighting a fish.Anyways,on my last baitcaster I ran Powerpro,I have noticed others mainly using mono.What do you guys prefer on baitcasters,mono or braid?

·
Registered
38 Posts
You should never use a braid for drift fishing, only float fishing. Snags and breakoffs leave some pretty mean pieces of line on the bottom. I use maxima ultra green for drifting, powerpro for floats.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i personally use #30 braid and i only break off my leader and rod

everyone gives me shit for it but i dont care i bring in alot more fish than my dad and he uses mono

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm in the minority,but I think Maxima is overrated.

I use Berkley Big Game on my BCs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've used maxima ultragreen ever since it came out,never let me down yet. 2 yrs. ago I tried maxima crystal ivory (ultragreen with out the color) seems to be limper but just as strong. I've had good results with it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
For drifting I've used ultra green for years with no probs. I use crystal ivory on my spoon rod (so I can see it).

If crystal ivory is the same as ultra green but with different coloring, I wonder why crystal ivory cost waaaaay less than ultra green. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
681 Posts
There is no braid in this ball of crap mono that was pulled out of a river by a braid line!
Every bit of it was mono. Excess line was burned in the fire after salvage rights were exercised.
There are many good lines to use to get the job done, either mono or braid. I have used both and have had good success with both. I have witnessed people using both that have had good or rotten luck with both. It all depends on the user. I would say that you should use what works best for you after you have experimented with both. Don't take the all to pat answer of that won't work. Make your own judgement.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Braid sounds economical too me. Never lose a weight or a swivel sounds great. How can I learn to only snag up my hooks, and never the weight.. I've drift fish and boondogged with braid and always manage to break off a few weights and swivels.. I want to get so good I NEVER lose terminal gear!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Soady,

That is the mother of all balls of crap. You must've flipped a huge boulder or tree stump to pull that free. Thanks for removing it.

What river did that pile come from? A terminal area no doubt?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Soady said:
There is no braid in this ball of crap mono that was pulled out of a river by a braid line!
Every bit of it was mono. Excess line was burned in the fire after salvage rights were exercised.
There are many good lines to use to get the job done, either mono or braid. I have used both and have had good success with both. I have witnessed people using both that have had good or rotten luck with both. It all depends on the user. I would say that you should use what works best for you after you have experimented with both. Don't take the all to pat answer of that won't work. Make your own judgement.
Looks like Salmon snagger gear to me :lol:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The braid is bad for the river debate will never quit. Next time you go to the river look around the bank and try and count the yards of mono. A lot of guys that say they hate litter will leave 50 yards of line at the river without a second thought. I will use braid at times and have nevr left a foot of it in the water. I cannot say the same about mono.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
steelspanker said:
Soady,

That is the mother of all balls of crap. You must've flipped a huge boulder or tree stump to pull that free. Thanks for removing it.

What river did that pile come from? A terminal area no doubt?
My vote would be he pulled it out of the nasty !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts