Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Santa supplied me with some nice gift cards and I'd really like to "gear down" a bit for blackmouth. Any thoughts from y'all regarding best rods (brand, length, line class, etc.) for using on a downrigger when fishing for blackmouth? My normal summer sticks are fine, but don't have quite enough flex to keep 'em hooked sometimes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Shimano Convergence 10'6'' 10-20lb. you can find them for around 65 bucks. Dont let the price fool you, thay are great downrigger rods...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I was using the 10`6, 8-20 Wild River St.Croix's this year and loved them. We had 65 lb Power pro rigged on them and it worked great. Very nice DR rod, lots of flex and the Wild River graphite is very tough, perfect for downrigger fishing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wouldn't classify this as the best but I've been fishing these sticks for 2 seasons now and I really like them, they are inexpensive 50.00-60.00 a piece and they really load up nice and play the fish well at first I thought they would be to wimpie but they have proven otherwise.

Shimano
Convergence
CVC-L106M-2
Length 10'-6"
Line Wt. 12-20lb
Lure Wt. 3/4-1 1/2 oz
Power Medium
Action Slow

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Red Neckersom said:
I was using the 10`6, 8-20 Wild River St.Croix's this year and loved them. We had 65 lb Power pro rigged on them and it worked great. Very nice DR rod, lots of flex and the Wild River graphite is very tough, perfect for downrigger fishing.
Thats the same rod I use.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
mayfly0013 said:
Shimano Convergence 10'6'' 10-20lb. you can find them for around 65 bucks. Dont let the price fool you, thay are great downrigger rods...
another vote for this rod, I use it for float fishing too, they are light and I can use it all day and not get tired, I loved using it for the Kings out of Lake Sammamish,great bend to them to really set the hook when it releases Tup:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Riverwalker said:
I wouldn't classify this as the best but I've been fishing these sticks for 2 seasons now and I really like them, they are inexpensive 50.00-60.00 a piece and they really load up nice and play the fish well at first I thought they would be to wimpie but they have proven otherwise.

Shimano
Convergence
CVC-L106M-2
Length 10'-6"
Line Wt. 12-20lb
Lure Wt. 3/4-1 1/2 oz
Power Medium
Action Slow
Same ones I use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Given most of the BMs are going to be on the smallish side (as opposed to fall kings), I tend to gear down expecially since I use 4" and 5" Tomics during the winter. I purchased a couple of older Orvis 9wt fly rods off Ebay and extended the fighting butts to work better in a rod holder. Then I fit them with large salt water fly reels (Islanders are great if you can afford them) loaded with backing and then 100 or so yards of 20# Power Pro. They work well for fall Coho as well.......there is nothing like direct drive and hot fish!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Riverwalker said:

Shimano
Convergence
CVC-L106M-2
Length 10'-6"
Line Wt. 12-20lb
Lure Wt. 3/4-1 1/2 oz
Power Medium
Action Slow
Ditto on the Shimano Convergence. Great rod and good price. I love their knuckle buster single action reel (Shimano Moocher Plus 2000GT) as well.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Slabby20 said:
Riverwalker said:

Shimano
Convergence
CVC-L106M-2
Length 10'-6"
Line Wt. 12-20lb
Lure Wt. 3/4-1 1/2 oz
Power Medium
Action Slow
Ditto on the Shimano Convergence. Great rod and good price. I love their knuckle buster single action reel (Shimano Moocher Plus 2000GT) as well.
Another vote for the shimano Convergance..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also vote for the convergance, great for the price.If you want a shorter rod I love my lamiglass classic glass 802's and they are about the same price

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Red Neckersom said:
I saw those at Cabela's today Red, for $130. Is that a good price? They looked like a nice rod.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Hard to go wrong with the St. Croix 10'6 either Avid or Wild River. I like rods rated for 8-20 they are the same ones I use for my float fishing in the fall as well as herring rods for area's like Gray Harbor. Just a good all around rod.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have been using Shimano Clarus Rods 9 FT, 10-30 FT LB Line, reels used Penn 209, 321, Ambassadeur BG 7001 HS, Cabela's Depthmaster DMG-20. Line on the reels Maxima Chameleon 30 LB Test & PowerPro 30 LB Red Braid. This gear fits the boat I have and has been affordable.
I use this gear for all the salmon fishing in the Puget Sound Areas and so far have done very well this year and in the past. The biggest fish has been 22 LBS taken last year off of Southworth. I hope to hook something bigger next year up here or down South.

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
Before you buy anything, check out a Rainshadow 1264DR blank. They are the best DR rod for most all types of Puget sound Salmon fishing IMO. The long and slow action loads up on the downrigger really nice, and they are a light enough rod to make playing a fish fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think spending a lot of money on a downrigger rod is a waste. You need durability, not light weight and sensitivity. I like Shakespeare Ugly Stick Lite Salmon rods for this...about $80 and practically indestructable. Any of the 8.5 or 9ft casting rods work great, depending on how heavy you want to go. I use a MH rated for 8-20lb line. If you are going to mooch or jig also, then a higher end rod makes sense, but you will eventually break it downrigger fishing.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Another vote for the Shimano Convergence. Great rods and at $69 they are a not going to break the bank too bad. I have an Alvey 525-C52 on mine. Great single action reel that gives you 1-1 cranking and no knuckle busting. wink:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Shimano Convergence is a great rod; I’ve used them for years. But I also picked up an Ugly Stick Lite a few months ago and it is rapidly becoming my favourite DR rod. The 8’ or 8.5’ foot rods are easier to handle than the 10’ especially if you ever fish alone. It’s hard to hold a 10’ rod in one hand and get the fish close enough to net with the other.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts