Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being the top chef that i am not,i picked a pork shoulder blade roast for a good price.about a 7-8 lbs.i want to make bbq pork/pulled pork sandwiches.so how does one go about doing this.any real chefs out there.?mic

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Well I'm no chef! But after reading several web pages on the subject here is what I do.

Rub on some of your favorite pork rub (I never seem to have time to do this the previous night). Let the meat come up to room temp while your smoker is coming up to temp (200). Put on your favorite wood (I use a mix of hickory and apple for Pork). Smoke for about 4 hours (I just load 4 hours worth of pucks into the Bradley) and then continue at 200 until the internal temp of the meat is about 180. I baste the meat with your favorite basting (I use straight apple juice) every hour or so. Pull from the smoker and wrap in foil and then towels and put it in a cooler until you are ready to serve it. This will help to continue breaking down the connective tissue. Pull the pork and serve with your favorite BBQ sauce.

The last shoulder I did took about 8 hours as I let the temp get too high in the smoker. The one before that took 20 hours. The main difference was that the one that went 20 hours had a wonderful bark but the one that went 8 I had to remove the bark as it was too charred to leave in the meat. Both of them tasted great though.

Some people will remove the shoulder from the smoker after the 4 hours and continue it in the oven. I don't see the need for this step.

I did up some last weekend that we ate yesterday. I put the pulled pork in a gallon ziplock bag with about a cup of apple juice to store it. Then yesterday I put the pork in a crock pot set on low and mixed in another cup of apple juice to help keep the pork moist. Everyone loved it!

BTW: Costco sells Shoulders in two packs. This is what I cooked on Saturday and I did both at the same time.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I looked and I couldn't find one in the book. (Thats gotta change). gljjr's is a good basic pulled pork 101. YMMV

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks you gljjr ,t-rex i looked but didnt find one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pulled Pork Recipe with Root Beer Sauce:

1 (2-1/2- to 3-lbs.) pork sirloin roast

1/2 tsp. each salt & pepper

1 Tbsp. cooking oil

2 med. onions, cut into thin wedges

1 c. each root beer* & bottled chili sauce

2 Tbsp. minced garlic

3 c. root beer (two 12-ounce cans or bottles)*

1/4 tsp. root beer concentrate (optional)

Several dashes hot pepper sauce (optional)

8-10 hamburger buns, split

Lettuce leaves & Tomato slices (optional

Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut pork roast to fit into a 3-1/2- to 5-qt.

crockery cooker. Sprinkle meat with the salt & pepper. In a lg. skillet

brown meat all over in hot oil. Drain off

fat. Put in Crockpot. Add onions, 1 c. root beer, & garlic. Cover & cook

on low for 8 to 10 hrs. or on high 4 to 5 hrs.

For sauce:

In a med. saucepan combine the 24 oz. of root beer & the chili sauce. Bring

to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally,

about 30 min. or until mixture is reduced to 2 c. Add root beer concentrate

& hot pepper sauce. Transfer roast serving platter. Remove onions from

pot & place on serving

platter. Using 2 forks, pull meat apart. To serve with lettuce & tomato,

meat & onions; spoon on sauce. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

*Note: Do not substitute with diet root beer

·
Registered
693 Posts
i like to shred mine and throw into a large tin and mix with bbq sauce and let it stew back in the smoker for about an hour giving it a stir ever now and then.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks greg,i did one the thursday,but did it in the crock pot cause it was so bad out side.nothing to brag,came out o.k..waitting to get my new boinic knee back in shape, then im gonna finnish the smoke house on the deck so i can smoke anytime. once again greg thanks for the thread

1 - 9 of 9 Posts