Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Battery Tender Plus today and have a question about charging two batteries.
Do I charge one at a time, or can you select ALL on the Perko switch and charge both?
What does this do to a fuel injected motor with an ECM, should I charge with the switch in off?

Some of the fishing I do I may only run the main motor for 15 minutes total. My T-8 charges, but with downriggers, fishfinder, lighting, and TR-1 it knocks it back pretty quick when the batteries aren't fully charged.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Ditto. I charged mine with the perko to off, thinking it would charge both battries because it has leads going to both. Got out on the water and set my switch to 1 and it was dead, dead, dead! Switched over to 2 and got started. Am I supposed to charge with the switch to 1&2?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Put the switch to "All"...If on a charger connected to one battery or if running your motor to charge both at the same time..

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
CommanderX said:
I picked up a Battery Tender Plus today
May I ask where you got it and how much it was? I was looking at them on line...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wannafish said:
CommanderX said:
I picked up a Battery Tender Plus today
May I ask where you got it and how much it was? I was looking at them on line...
It was an impulse buy at 'Batteries Plus+' in West Olympia, $59.99. I have no idea what a good deal would have been.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I believe that a "Battery Tender" and a "Float Charger" are about the same thing.
A regular battery charger puts out 13+ volts to charge your battery quickly a Tender or float charger puts out about 12.5 volts just enought to keep you batteries fully charged. Float chargers are available @ Harbor Freight Tools for about $10.00

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While a Battery Tender and float charger both charge at or near 1.25 volts, the tender will maintain the battery at the proper level. Supposedly you can hook it up and leave it on and the battery will be maintained at the proper level. Where as a charger will charge up to proper voltage and then shut off.
At least this is what I've been told, I am no expert, hence the question.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
CommanderX, You are correct about a standard battery charger shutting off when the battery is charged. A float charger does not, it just continues to put out just enough voltage to keep the battery charged up. I believe a tender will actually monitor battery voltage and only charge when necessary.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I took another look at my set up and it looks like I have cables (pos and neg) going from my tender to both my batteries. Looks like its by-passing the Perko altogether. Shouldn't it be charging both batteries and keeping them both conditioned? Just wondering why my number 1 was dead after being on the conditioner for over a week? Number 2 was fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Clean and tighten all of your connections and make sure you have no shorts or blown fuses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts