Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about drifting this section of the Cowlitz tomorrow which I haven't floated. The river is at 8700CFS, does anyone know of any dangers I should worry about? One source told me there is one tricky spot about 3/4 of the way down which he walks, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
That's a pretty easy drift. Nothing to worry about. The spot he is refering to is worse at low flows. And it's actually not bad then either, it just looks worse than it really is. But whenever you are in doubt, it's always better to walk it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got back from floating the river from Barrier to Blue Creek. The water is somewhat high right now. Plenty fishable. The problem is there were no fish there today! Only saw one fish landed out of 5 boats and have a dozen bank guys.

Red

·
Banned
82 Posts
It is a really, really easy drift. It would be pretty hard to get into any trouble at all. The area I think that is worse when lower is a big right hand turn... stay fairly close to the deeper water and backrow on the edge of the deeper area all the way through, otherwise if you stay in the shallower water it will send you like a bullet into the far bank and you will have to row like mad and be all out of position. Does that make sense? Anyways, its not a big deal at all. If you are in doubt though its always better to just get out and pull the boat through... no shame in staying alive!

·
Registered
351 Posts
one of the easiest drifts you can do on the cow,i myself would float blue creek to mission though with the rain they got today which is also a pretty easy drift with tons of fishable water right now...good luck :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice! Floated it today, and it really was an easy drift. We went two for three, the two we landed were chrome natives. Didn't see any other boats until we got down around the blue creek launch. Great weather to boot!!! Thanks again!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Native in the Cowlitz? Those are pretty rare.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.K, let's just say non-fin clipped fish! :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts