Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I'm not filing, fortunately. But, one of my friends worked for a guy as a contractor. The guy said he would pay my friend once the houses sold. Now, these houses can't sell and the guy is filing for bankruptcy. Now my friend thinks he is out $1700 in back pay. Anything he can do? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Take him to court and have the judge order a lean on the house. And I believe if the guy hasn't paid his taxes or benefits it would be a federal file.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If he is an employee, go through Labor and Industries.
If he is a subcontractor he should lien the house(s) where the work took place. I wouldn't wait around and hope the contractor's promises pan out. There may be plenty of people in front of him. If the guy does file bankruptcy, he wants to be noted as a debtor so he can at least get something
About ten years ago my wife's aunt had a custom home built. The contractor ended up going belly up and even though she paid him for completion, he didn't pay many of the subcontractors. She ended up paying the subs again just so she could clear the title and move in.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Mad..

There are a lot of things that could make this go one way or another. You said he worked for him as a contractor right? With the agreement that when these properties sold he would then compensate said contractor for his services. Did they enter into a contract at that point? Does your friend have a license to work as a contractor? Or was he just picking up some side work. Its hard to say what he can do without knowing some of this....

·
Registered
592 Posts
X5fishinmachine said:
Don't file a suit until he has filed for bankruptcy............he doesn't want this debt included on the discharge in the bankruptcy.
If he files then all debt is discarded even if you are taking no effort to collect. You are supposed to be notified but not being notified does not protect you from him discharging your debt without you ever knowing or taking effort to collect.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help! He says he's going try and negotiate at least something. Matt says thanks as well!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Hopefully he does not have to rely on Labor and Industries they are a joke in my opinion.I was owed $10,000.00 and change (prevailing wage he did not pay) by a employer who basically liquidated the business. I gave L and I all the records they said they would have to have and was told they would take care of it, After a years worth of B.S I get a letter saying that I would have to hire my own attorny so I call a few and could only find two interested in taking it on and they wanted $5000,00 upfront beings that I'm not a gambling man I just wrote it off.L and I said they did not have the funding to handle my case at the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts