Gamefishin.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Ballinger Lake today for the first time. I read that there was bass n spiny rays here so I thought I would do some bank fishing for some and see if I could get an early jump on the season. I fished a yellow spinnerbait w/ colorado blades with no luck other than one bite. I used a 7" green plastic power worm texas rigged w/no luck and a floating rapala rainbow trout pattern w/no luck. I was seeing a little action out in the lake meaning some top feeding that I assumed were rainbow trout. I didnt want to go home stinking so I threw on a rooster tail and caught two small rainbows that fought fairly hard for there size (both released). As I was leaving this little spot that I was fishing from I heard a giant kabloosh and caught a glimpse of a giant fish jump right where I was fishing from. I may go back. It looks like a good lake for spiny rays but the bank fishing is very limited and it looks like you may need a float tube to really enjoy the possibilities that the lake may hold. Lots of cover and lilly pads around the edges. Lots of ducks, a swan, frogs, birds, mosquitoes, and the biggest heron that I have ever seen. Just a little too early in the season for what I was trying to accomplish. Good Luck and dont be affraid to leave messages on this board to help your fellow angler. I am also looking for a fishing buddy that has a boat and is open to try new lakes. I am an active duty military guy so I can bring a guest to the infamous jim creek naval radio station so you can experience the best trout fishing in Washington State. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested. Remember to catch and release for the future of the sport (Bring a camera). Sincerely, Kyle

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have fished Lake Ballinger for as long as I have been fishing and I will tell you a story which is completely true, and I am not making this up to get on a post-it board. It was a weekday and my mom took me and my brothers and sisters to the lake, I was the only one fishing because everyone else was play around on the beach. I had been fishing for about 45 min and hadn't haad so much as a tick when I desided to put on 2 marshmellows {yellow} , and a red salmon egg. I tossed it out by the Lly pads and fished it on the bottom when all the sudden it felt like I hit bottom when I knew I couldn't have, so I set the hook but didn't do a very good job because I saw a 15-20 pound Bass go slowly swim away. Needless to say I was shaking, with good reason. Well that's my story, and if you don't believe me well then your pretty dumb because its the truth.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live right by lake ballinger and fish there often. It's know december 2000 when I'm writing this so I'm not shure of the exact date, so I'll just say a little while back. anyways, I was fishing with my dad in the the spring like, two to four months before the yearly stock.we were fishing with various colors of powerbait, 4 feet from the bottom. we were doing okay my dad had two and I had one one all 12 inches and real fat (the fish are rainbws). there was a guy with his limit there too. my dad kept bringing them to the boat and losing them I was mad though because I wasn't even geting strikes then we moved to the left side of the island (looking from the public dock), about 20 feet from the lily pads. I casted as far out as I could and let it sink to the bottom. after mabey 5 minutes, I felt a light tap and I set the hook hard. as if I was snaged on somthing the fish didn't move untill I realed the slack in. then the fish took off at top speed my drag screaming and then, just like that, the line was slack. I figure the fish was a 5 pound rain bow. a little later I caugt another 12 incher and caught up with my dad. Know I tie a better knot and tie it with care so next time a lunker hits I'll be ready. the pearch fishing is good, we average 20 fish per person. I don't fish for bass often, but once saw a 2-4 pounder. the largest I've caugt was only 10 inches. now back to trout. my one day catch record on trout is ten fish. in the morning I used a worm 12 inches under a small bober. as It got more in the day, I lowerd the worm, untill It was four feet under the bober the fish took the bobers with gusto and the bobers made large splashes as they went under. when the trout stoped feeding on the surface, we went to my favorite spot, the same place I hooked the big one, and fished power bait 3-5 feet off the bottom. another tip If you go to my favorite spot in the evening or morning, or any time the fish are suface feeding,go right along the lily pads and cast twelve feet In front of you I keep my line slack so the fish fells nothing when he picks it up, and as soon as my line line starts moving I set the hook hard(usally with the slip weight power bait set up I always do this).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please everyone who is a PowerBait addict, LISTEN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! After the Bass have spawned start using this techniqe its great! Fish a big nightcrawler on a medium size hook without weight and give it pleanty of slack to sink to the bottom. Let it sit for maybe 3-4 minutes and ever so slowly raise the pole and at the slightest sign of a fish hit it ( but not to hard ) and you will have a really nice fish. That's all I am saying about my secret spots.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um there are no fish in this lake do not fish there I sat for 3 hours not one bite

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was good fishing on sunday from 10:30 to around 2:30 me and my friend trolled in between the island and the part where the Nile golf course is where there are a lot of trees hanging over the water (looks like a bass area to me) anyway we trolled with kastmasters (gold) and we were getting hits every couple of minutes with big ones to (12-15) I was amazed and they hit the kasmasters hard, it doubled over our poles they even hooked themselves all I had to do was real 'em in.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subject: Reply to Michael Welch I live only a few minutes away from Lake Ballinger and fish it as often as I can. The wooded area you reffered to is not best place to fish for bass. Instead, you'll have more luck by the lilypads over on the north end.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Friday April 12th at around 2pm I tried a cast with worms, nothing. Put on an all black vibrax spinner. Second cast, wham. landed a 2-3 pd large mouth bass. Wow, my first bass ever.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fished Ballinger Lake for bass this evening and did not get a bite!! I was very disappointed that I couldn't find the fish nor get any action. I worked the north end lily pads extensivly with plastics, spinnerbaits and crankbaits, but not a thing. The lake looks like it hold bass and I was sure I would eventually find them, but no luck. Oh Well. Bri-

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put in at Lake Ballinger about 7:45 pm. Kicked along the west side of the lake trolling a size 10 olive 'next gen' woollybugger. Had two 14" rainbows in my lap by 8 pm, landed two more and LDR'd two in the next hour, was off the lake by 9. Shared the lake with 2 other boats, looked like they were trolling pop gear or some other type of blade string, and they were catching fish also. It was a warm evening with a slight breeze off and on. What a nice way to end the evening!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got on the lake at 7:15 pm, warm evening with slight breeze. Trolled a small weighted olive 'next gen' woolley bugger with floating line. Half hour later had a fat 12" rainbow in my lap, played one more 'till he broke off. Left at 8:15.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts