Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter gave me a Navionics 13XG chip for Christmas, so I filled out the information to obtain the Fish'N'Chip to go with it and have been advised that Navionics will not supply it as I do not have the sales receipt for the original chip. I guess Navionics thinks that the chip must have been stolen. Anyway I will never do business with them again.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Navionics chip. I would do as Cornfed said and get the receipt as this is common practice to send it in. I would follow through as it is a really nice chip and I use it a lot. I really haven't seen any other charts that are any better and most not as good as the Navionics.

·
Registered
165 Posts
"I too had a problem with Capt. Downriggin. Looks like things never change. I think I will post on here how to make his hoochies so nobody has to buy his crap. I was on to the yarn thing before he came out with it as I am sure many others were. He is a horrible businessman"

He used to be a real helpful nice guy around here. Anyway, they're easy to make. Just tie the hooks so they face oposite directions, shank to shank and stick a spin'nglow in front of the hootchy and that's all there is to it. LOL Nothing super special or mysterious about it.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
To keep things "On Topic" a new thread has been created for the CDR hoochy report.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I emailed Navionics this morning and told them that I did not have a receipt as the chip was a Christmas gift. I received a reply within an hour stating that if I provided the chip information that they would send me the Fish'N' Chip. So we will see.

·
Registered
330 Posts
A Child of Sekiu said:
I emailed Navionics this morning and told them that I did not have a receipt as the chip was a Christmas gift. I received a reply within an hour stating that if I provided the chip information that they would send me the Fish'N' Chip. So we will see.
Thats a pretty good response time. I hope everything turns out ok. I have had nothing but good experiences with Navionics. I was so pumped at the boat show last year when I found the Navionics booth. I explained to my dad all the features of the chip, and the Navionics guy was impressed and realized how dead serious I was about fishing so he gave me the 912G fish chip for free! I have yet to buy the navigation chip and probably won't

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Just remember the Fish'N'Chip does not have the port and bouys marked. I guess it is so loaded with info, it would be to much with them. Sounds like Terry took care of you at the Navionics booth. He has been very good to me too. I never got to take him fishing yet. Nice guy though. He was out at Lapush with us a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I hope you get your new card.

That thing is simply invaluable when looking for bottom structure.

Only thing I hate is switching back and forth between the gold and that card.

Fishnut. What PC program are you running that shows all of your charting.

I have a raymarine, and everytime I want to look at something, I have to run out to the boat to look at it. I'd be nice to have something on the computer that I could mess with that isn't a $200.00 program.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
TicTac
I use the Chartview Pro on my computer. It has really good info depending on the chart you have installed. But its not $200.00. Way more. I think these programs are still pretty expensive as I have had mine for a long time. I don't know if they are still in business.

Navionics was supposed to come up with a card reader for your computer so you could use your charts on your computer. Not sure that this ever happened.

There is a huge difference in chartplotter charts. I posted these a long time ago and will post them again.

All three of these charts are of Eastern Bank. You can see the difference. Which one(s) would you want to make a game plan on?

The first one is Nautipath. It comes preloaded in the LCX113hd. This is probably also the one that costs $99.00

The next one is Navionics Gold-Pretty good

The last one is the Fish'n'chip. It is the Navionics Bathymetric.-Outstanding! I would not go with out it for bottom contours.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Fishnut said:
Just remember the Fish'N'Chip does not have the port and bouys marked. I guess it is so loaded with info, it would be to much with them. Sounds like Terry took care of you at the Navionics booth. He has been very good to me too. I never got to take him fishing yet. Nice guy though. He was out at Lapush with us a couple of years ago.
Yea...Terry really hooked me up. I tried to go see him at the boat show, but he wasn't there when I was there. I know the fish chip doesn't have the buoy data and a couple other pieces of data. That is the drawback. Tiderunner was saying on other post that you can take your two chips down to J&B Marine on marine view Drive (I believe that is what it is called) in Des Moines and have them merge the data from the two chips so you don't have to switch back and forth and you can overlay the two datasets. My dad has the 913G so we might combine our data together to get a master chip.

THe Fish chip is the only way to go. it would be nice the have SEAMAP so you could map that Fish chip data to a 3D contour!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Cornfed,
Lowrance is supposed to have the upgrade coming soon to run the 3d Platinum Navionics charts. Can't wait for this one. I have not yet tried to download my maps to my Lowrance hard drive. I am afraid to wipe somthing out.

I just switch to Navionics gold when cruising.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To use navionics charts on a PC you might consider Raymarine's RayTech Navigator software. To use all its features a purchased license is needed but it's free features include chart viewing, waypoints/routes, and a bunch of other stuff. You can download it here:

http://www.raymarine.com/default.aspx?s ... 3&page=145

The part you need to buy is a "Navionics multicard reader" (look it up on the web, around $65) to interface the navionics chip to the PC via a USB cable. I don't think other card readers will work.

Together they are powerful, very useful and low cost. For $65 you don't have to go to the boat to view charts or plan waypoints. I have a Raymarine C80 and use it in the house by powering it with a 12VDC "wall wart" power supply, cut off the end connector and wired pins to mate with the C80. I can easily move information between my PC and C80 all from the comfort of my desk. I can collect waypoints, routes and tracks while fishing and use them on the PC where I organize and group them, make routes and return it to the C80. Pretty sweet.

NWFisher

·
Registered
607 Posts
How about with lowrance units? I see that they are working on the software. From the looks of the charts I would much rather use the navionics charts.If some one hears that lowrance gets this done I hope they inform us here... Fishy

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Smellsfishy said:
How about with lowrance units? I see that they are working on the software. From the looks of the charts I would much rather use the navionics charts.If some one hears that lowrance gets this done I hope they inform us here... Fishy
Which software are you refering to? I believe all the Lowrances support the Navionics chips. Navionics also has the computer reader too. Just gotta buy it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
from my understanding lowrance does not support the platinum or platinum plus chips yet. On the web site they say that they are working on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts