Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this searching another site. Its pretty cool to look back at what once was and how things have changed. If we could only go back in time with the gear and technology we have today, for just one day during primetime. Just imagine all the fish Mayfly0013 could catch, lol. :D

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Man, the Green used to push them out!

that would be cool to go back in time and fish em for a day haha

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remember these numbers are only winter numbers, I don't think summer fish were hardly even fished back then. Maybe a few of the members who remember these days will speak up about the ol' days of winter steelheading.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oldguy said:
I was there then. A real treat to go out fishing and not have hardly anyone else around.

oldguy
Thanks Oldguy, I could only imagine. Tup:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you are doing DB. Ha Ha.

I can't wait till the U.S. Open of 2015, if you need someone to push you around in the wheel chair, I'll help you out man. :D

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DBAppraiser said:
Its a little known fact that Red was 30 years old in 1970 and he filled his punch card that year. :)
:lol: :lol:

You have got to take me and my oxygen bottle out on the sound sometime DB, roflmao. Man, those were the golden years, just me and my cherry bobbers drfitin the Nisqually and the Puyallup. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DBAppraiser said:
Not a problem Red. Matter of fact, about 12 years ago I worked for a medical supply company so if you need any assistance with your oxygen concentrator I can help you out. We do need to get together and pound on some MA 13 kings this year. :D
We will for sure. I can't wait for MA 13, it was my best year to date for sure.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Green and the Puy, two of the top 5 steelhead producers in the state. Gives a guy something to cry about, not dream. Tis such a shame...

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Maybe smalma or salmo g. can pipe in on this one. What I remember is that the way the Dept. of Game (before Fisheries and the Game Dept. merged) had a very unique way of counting catch statistics back then. Let's say there were 100,000 punchcards sold. 10,000 were returned and showed 2000 steelhead caught from the Green. They would take that number and apply it to the other 90,000 cards that weren't returned and voila, the catch for the Green became 20,000. The multiplier used now reflects the fact that folks without any punches on their card rarely return them. These numbers look very good, and there is no question that Pre-Boldt and pre gonzo development, they were better than today. But not nearly as good as they seem.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Used to see tons of people sprawled along the Puyallup river road back then. It was common to drive by and see someone fighting a fish. Those are some great numbers that we'll never see again in our lifetime and anyone elses for that matter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The brouther-in-law and I would go to the Willapa and hit the Little Oxbow about 8 in the morn. 2 maybe 3 holes 3 fish apiece, 3 hrs. max. Very seldom see anybody else. Pearl pink corkie maybe some yarn, Mar., Apr. hammered brass spoons, some really big fish in Apr. Can't fish it in Apr. anymore. Early 70's Tup:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I first fished the Green in 1973 with my Father-in-Law and as a first timer caught 9 fish and lost maybe 20 the first year. The Pre-Boldt era was something else alright!!!! Say goodbye to those days...... :cry:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts