Astra 44 mag. cylinder locking issues. | Gamefishin.com

Astra 44 mag. cylinder locking issues.

Discussion in 'Guns.....Guns.....Guns...Things that go BOOM' started by tonymiller7, Dec 10, 2013.

1. tonymiller7

tonymiller7 Member

I found what I think is a steal on an Astra 44 magnum (smith and wesson clone), the reason for it's low price is that the cylinder does not lock when closed unless the hammer is cocked. Any suggestions on what the issue is and how expensive it would be to fix? Just want to know what I'm getting into before I purchase.

Thank you.

2. corkiedrifter

corkiedrifter Active Member

Finding parts may be a challenge. Sounds like the torsion spring or hand is not functioning properly. It could be (but less likely) the cylinder stop (Indexer) or spring, or both. When in battery the indexer should be held tight by the trigger assembly camming up on it. When not in battery it should be the Hand holding it in place. On my Model 629 the hand or indexer holds the cylinder tight at all times whether in battery or out. Even less likely but entirely possible, it could also be the crane if it is well used. A lot of DA revolvers suffer from crane bend after all of the Dick Tracy one hand flop the cylinder closed morons get done with them.

Search tags for this page

astra 44 mag

astra 44 magnum

astra 44 magnum revolver parts

astra 44 timing

hand torsion spin astra 44

how to fix a 44 mag astra