Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was the day for myself and fellow Gamefishers, Big O and Srchn4slmn to see if there really were any blackmouth in a few spots that produced some nice summer kings in Area 13. We were just flying by the seat of our pants and hoping to put some chrome in the fish box. The day started out kind of bad as the Solo Point boat launch we wanted to use was covered with loose gravel and we didn't have four wheel drive. We left out of that launch at primetime in the morning and headed for the Luhr Beach launch about 20 minutes down the road and we were really sweating bullets and thought we had missed the early morning bite, which maybe we did. The daylight was burning brighter as we launched the boat at the other launch and we hopped in and raced for the waters we had been thinking about all week, since we planned the trip. We finally get their and juice up the hootchies with scent and camera flashes to liven up the glow of the meaty morsel salmon candy. Then we found the right depth and dropped the downrigger weights over with the salmon candy trailering a little ways behind and we were finally set and trolling. It must have been about a half an hour before the first takedown and fellow gamefisher and friend Srchn4slmn reels down and swings the Fish Eagle rod high and it was gone, fish off. :oops: The next two takedowns were within about twenty minutes and we missed both of them as well, we were wondering what was wrong and then we decided that we were going to leave the rod in the holder until the fish was hooked for sure and we never missed another fish the rest of the day. The grand total for the day was 5 shaker blackies and two keeper blackies, one 24" and one 25". It was a great day on the water with nice weather and good friends, and a couple of willing biters never hurt either. Tup:

Upcoming derby Gamefishers beware, we left all the really big ones out their, so we can catch them on the 15th. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
Nice going guys! I should have been out there.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Nice job guys. My life gets way better next week. Maybe you can show me how it's done. :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well clay, you may not have gotten into the largest ones, but if it were by boat weight you may have had a shot! Now just wait till i get on the boat, beginners luck will be in the air everywhere, and you have seen how things go with my beginners luck nuke: nuke:

Good works guys! Tup:

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Very nice guys Tup:

·
Banned
733 Posts
Hey I just wanted to say I had a great time with you two. Tup: Thanks for getting me into my first blackie. Look forward to heading out with you guys some time again. You two will have to come hit the sauk with me soon!!!
Omar

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Thanks Clay for taking us out there. I've had a need to get out and do that again since last June. It was a perfect March day, and fish to boot! Omar, nice to meet you, I hope dinner was as good as the fishing was.

Fellow Gamefishers, Red Neckerson (Clay) is a model member of the site clap: . Knowledgeable, fun, friendly and more worried about others learning and catching fish than himself. On more than one occassion I offered the rod to him (we were only running 2 riggers) and he said no way, you guys have fun. I couldn't ask for a better fishing mentor. Thanks again. Look out on the 15th everyone! :cool:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
srchn4salmon said:
Fellow Gamefishers, Red Neckerson (Clay) is a model member of the site clap: . Knowledgeable, fun, friendly and more worried about others learning and catching fish than himself. On more than one occassion I offered the rod to him (we were only running 2 riggers) and he said no way, you guys have fun. I couldn't ask for a better fishing mentor. Thanks again. Look out on the 15th everyone! :cool:
SECONDED! clap:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice! I need to get out there...except my boat isn't quite ready to come out of its slumber. :oops:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Great report you guys, those are some nice Blackies, I hope to get out there soon before it closes Tup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts