Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out for a little end of the year Blackmouth fishing this morning at Restoration Pt. Started dragging the gear at daybreak in 120 ft. of water with the riggers set at 138ft. Picked up and released a 24" "wild fish" on a Green/White tiger striped Coyote, dummy flasher in the first ten minutes trolling at 2.4 kts. We then weeded through about 4 shakers using the Coyote and a helmeted Spatterbacked Hoochie, both fished with dummy flashers. We moved to Manchester and marked fish and bait everywhere. Lost a nice fish at the boat on the hoochie. It was on the slow side so we picked back up at hit Restoration for another couple passes.

Picked up and released another 23-24" "wild fish" about 114 ft. of water, riggers below decks. This fish came on whole herring, trolled above a dummy at 2.2 kts.

Minutes later we bonked a small 23" blackie on a whole herring, same depth, same set-up. We lost two decent fish in the next twenty minutes. We ran out of herring, so we picked up at headed for the barn. It was a beautiful day to close the year.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Nice work. I gotta get up there one of these days and fish with the big city in the background...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, looks like you figured out the dummy flasher setup pretty good! I tried it several times, but I mostly used "dummy dodger" version, and it never worked well for me. I am really interested in it, too tired of dragging the flasher and loosing quite a lot of fish. So some things I will be gratefull to learn:

- Which flasher? I used dodgers because I was afraid the flasher moves more, and potentially tangles more... maybe there is a special flasher to be used that way?
- How long is the line to the flasher? And which line? I've heard some people use tuna cord or 150 mono... not sure if it will help with tangles.
- How far up from the flasher attachment is the main line clip, and how much line do you let out before clipping?

Thank you, great report, and will be really glad to read the details!
Alex

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good report, way to go. We fished just a little north of restoration (rockaway beach) on jan 1 . Fishing has been very good in this area if wheather permits. The fish are 60-100' down in 70-120' of water. I have been fishing Tomic 603 in 4 & 5" with the 4" producing best lately. Alison and Val with the new years catch, we released a couple real nice "wild" or unclipped fish as well.

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
- Which flasher? I used dodgers because I was afraid the flasher moves more, and potentially tangles more... maybe there is a special flasher to be used that way?
- How long is the line to the flasher? And which line? I've heard some people use tuna cord or 150 mono... not sure if it will help with tangles.
- How far up from the flasher attachment is the main line clip, and how much line do you let out before clipping?

Fishaman-

Using a dummy flasher can be as productive as using an inline flasher, but without the annoying "pull". You can use any flasher of any size. I stick with 11" green/glow, UV or Army Truck/silver. Attach the flasher with a heavy leader (at least 40#)...leader length can vary, but keep it shorter (around 4'-7') to avoid potential tangles with a really long leader. Attach the leader to the downrigger ball. Use ball swivels (heavy duty). Attach a small leader (I use a 12" wire leader) to the tail end of the flasher with a small amount of weight (1/2 oz or less). The weight will ensure the flasher rotates and dodges. Attach the release clip up from the downrigger ball anywhere from 2'-6'. Run the lure (plug/spoon/bait) out 10'-25'...hootchies will not work since they need action from the flasher to work properly. I use 60" release clips. I have caught a number of BM on this set-up. It's very nice to get a freight train hit, see the rod bouncing and know it's just the fish and not also the flasher. Plus you can load the rod more without the flasher inline. Oh, and herring sauce adds some taste.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you MGoBlue, that's exactly the information I was looking for! Especially like the idea of a weight on a short leader behind the flasher... it will help with correct rotation, and somewhat limit the radius to avoid tangles. I will definitely try it next time I'm out to Kingston.

Alex

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Fishaman-

Where do you moor your boat and what does it look like? I fish Kingston a lot. My boat is moored at Edmonds. I hope to be back at it within the next week. I'm in a 30' blue/white Searay with a "M" flag on the bow. Hope to see you out there.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fishaman,

Here's how I rig the dummy flasher set up. I use a 12lb. downrigger ball and run 3 ft. of 130lb Dacron(flyline backing) to a 11" flasher. I like the green glow flashers. I put two stops about 4 ft. above my flasher, were I snap on a Pro-release DR Clip. I run my lures, herring, plugs and helmeted hoochies about 4 - 5 ft. behind the dummy. I never get tangles. It works excellent for me. I have not seen any decrease in my fish catching. I have found a helmet devise from Oki Tackle, callled a Crazy 8 that works well with hoochies(thanks to some fellow Gamefishers) The hochies have plenty of action with or without a Herring strip. The action with a Herring strip is excellent.

Give it a try. I have convince a few friends to try it.....they will never go back.

Good fishing

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Capt. Matt,

The fishing in the area has been very good. Your right about the weather. I got out on on 12/27 and bounched around during a small craft adv. warning. Good work!

·
Registered
86 Posts
On the 1st, dumped crab pots at Braindamage Is. & we fished Kingston. 9 Blkmouth hooked 7 to the boat all hatchery 1 22- 1/2" keeper on Tomic plug, 1 29-1/2" keeper & all the rest on copcar spoon behind chrome e-chip flasher. Pots gave up 8 nice dungeness. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
34 Posts
MGoBlue:
I usually launch at Edmonds, it's just a 15 minutes ride from my home. My boat is Bayliner 2452 with a radar arch on the hardtop. I fished Kingston quite a few times in November/December, last time was when it started snowing, and it was hard to see the ferry in 200 yards when we went back to Edmonds. I usually monitor 16 and 69 on a VHF, see you there!

1morecast:
Great description, definitely will try the setup, and I also use Pro-Release clips, they are just the best. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

Alex

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Great report Tup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts