Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jr. and I had planned to try squishin this year even though we have never done it. Reports keep saying forget it, not worth the time ... blah blah blah. Is it really that bad? I cant find anything that says go get em :mrgreen:

Is the season over? Did they just never show? Seems that every year Todd or someone puts up some crazy ink squirting posts but not this year?

Wazzzzup with the squidded diddlers? :shock:

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
I hear ya man! We need to hit Edmonds. I hear its been okay. Not alot but the ones caught have been big. Just not tonight. Something about 15 degree low sounds not very fun to do.

Call me and lets get it going soon!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Squid are most excellent. Stir fry chinese style with vegatables ( I like the back bean with garlic sauce added to it).
Cut into rings or strips. Bread and deep fry (good way, but kind of splattery). Or. if you are lucky enough to get some jumbos, stuff them with rice, spinach, sausage, etc.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Cheez said:
Squid are most excellent. Stir fry chinese style with vegatables ( I like the back bean with garlic sauce added to it).
Cut into rings or strips. Bread and deep fry (good way, but kind of splattery). Or. if you are lucky enough to get some jumbos, stuff them with rice, spinach, sausage, etc.
Is it chewy like shell fish?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Squid need to be either cooked really fast - like in a stir fry. Or baked for a longer time (like my stuffed squid). In between and they do become chewy.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheez said:
Squid need to be either cooked really fast - like in a stir fry. Or baked for a longer time (like my stuffed squid). In between and they do become chewy.
Yep. Thats one thing to do with em.

The other ... is make bait :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Squid fisahing has been great all year here in Kitsap. Most people are not going to post saying it is great! At least the peopel I run into at the piers do not post about their catch. Make a run to Brownsville, Bremerton, Kingston, or Port Orchard.

Happy Squid Fishing

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Good to hear Bremerton is doig well! That place is almost always the go to when the other places are bad.

Just talked to my squid fishing friend. He says its been slow around Seattle since December. Not looking too good...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hit DesMoines twice a week ago and nothin... between the two days I caught 2 squid. ppl have been saying that the season is coming to a close over here...

You basically get a squid jig, flash it so it glows in the dark and jig it off the dock. On a good day you should catch at least 3 to 4lbs of squid. Some of my friends will stay longer and bring home 8 to 10lbs.

How to eat them:

1) an easy way is to clean them, then cut into long strips and cook on a pan with olive oil, little bit of soy sauce and garlic and butter. If squid is fresh this is great. (asian)
2) Calamari (american)
3) Salt and Pepper Squid is my favorite, you can look up the recipe online, lot of work though. (chinese)
4) You can cut them up, get some chojang (spicey red paste) and eat sashimi, ya raw and it's really good if you like sushi. (japanese/korean)
5) Some ppl dry them and eat them kinda like beef jerky.
6) Stir Fry with vegtables
7) baking and soups are ways of eating squid that I've never tried. The mexi's and viet's seem to like them in soup.

8) They also make really good bait. My buddy caught a squid late 07', and was catching fish 2 to 1. I was using herring. If the squid is freshly caught even better. I've heard ppl being successful for salmon with squid.

Not nearly as fun as salmon or steelhead fishing in my opinion, but a great place to go with friends and hang out all night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just so everyone knows....squid fishing is a year round activity in the sound! I would say the winter season is only half over! As for the Seattle area being slow in Dec....the rain we have had I believe is the 4th heaviest in recorded history. This means more runoff. This makes the water murky. Squid do not like murky water. They are there like in years past. You just need to adapt to the conditions. It can be tough at times. Maybe the people in the Kitsap region are using different squid jigs?

Good Luck and go get juiced!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts