Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I don't know if anyone has used these cameras before but if anyone has I was wondering if you could give your input on them. I have been interested in these for a while, and I think that they would be fun to have. If you could help me out that would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
i had one for ice fishing and it worked good the only thing i had trouble with was keeping it from spining but it depends on what your gonna use it for i dont think it would work to well if you were trolling with it unless you customized a bit

·
Registered
260 Posts
I got one for my birthday and ended up taking it back! Sure it would work for lake fishing, but definitely not very useful when trolling.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got one a while back before they came out with the DVR version and the extra special ones that have this and that attached. Just a plain old camera.

Here's my assessment. Useless for trolling simply because the camera faces out of the "FACE" of the fish shaped camera housing. So, if you trolled with it you have two issues. The direction of the fish causing unecessary wake going backwards, and the line let out with the downrigger. Remember, fish on, and you have to retrieve. Who wants to have extra hands to pull it back in? You'd have to modify the cord to be attached to the downrigger cable similar to a shower curtain set of clips so that it automatically stacked back up when retrieving the ball (yes, I've thought about this).

What IS it good for? Bottom fishing. This thing is awesome. When we were going for sanddabbers and other crap bait, this puppy was not only a magnet for fish, but gave my young kids about 2 hrs of fun where we didn't hear (can we go now? How long are we going to stay?) The kids LOVE this thing. Off a dock in Canada at Gold River fish camp we watched the dogfish swarm this thing. It was like a live National Geographic.

So, it really depends on what you want to do with it. I would recommend they come out with a version that uses 900mhz wireless cameras in waterproof housing that you could clip on your ball. No cables to mess with and a much smaller footprint. (send royalty checks my way if you invent this ; )

·
Registered
379 Posts
As far as using them to troll with or what not I think you are missing the point of them. To me the main use for an aqua view or other camera is to find out what you are seeing on your fish finder and to be able to actually see whats down there. It would also be good to check out areas you think are holding fish and see whats there. I have always wanted one and will get one but will use it to learn more about structure in relation to what I am marking on my fish finder. Like if you think you see a school of pearch you can see if you are. Or if you wonder what that wierd thing on the bottom is, well you can see what it is. I don't know if you have seen any of the seminars that have been put on using Aqua view footage but it is pretty cool to see the huge schools of pearch or the one where several small mouth bass are holding on structure with a crawdad near by and them not even paying it any mind. Anyways they do have an application and for me it will be to get to know a body of water better and to explore the depths.
JDL

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have an Aqua-Vu Scout and it's very useful for me with bass fishing. There are other makes and models now that are even cheaper. I use it mostly to scout certain areas to see what the cover and bottom structure is like and to see if it's a place that would likely hold fish. The worst part about these are when you do find fish and they don't bite. It's frustrating watching the smallmouth looking at the camera and basically laughing in your face when you put the lure right there and the fish not take it. I think it's worth the investment. Like earlier post, when taking young ones fishing it gives them something else to do as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I have another question for you guys, what is the difference between the Scout 2 and the Scout XL-50. The only thing I can find is the price, size of screen, and the lighting. What is the difference? Is there one in the quality? If anyone could give any insight on this I would appreciate it. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts