Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever try filleting a fish with one of these. It's a 10" forschner cimeter knife.

http://www.cadcutlery.com/granton/40634.jpg

I'm the proud new owner of one. I thought I'd give it a shot. It looks like it will follow the backbone nicely. My dexter russel narrow blade is nice, but on a floating cleaning station, one wrong move and I'd loose my line along the backbone with the narrow blade.

I thought that this wider blade might work just a little better.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I bought the 12" version of this knife. I like it and think that it could filet any fish. I always wear my kevlar glove when I'm using the knife as I don't want to contemplate what this bad boy could do to my hand.

·
Registered
474 Posts
As a meat cutter I use the 12 inch version of that knife all the time for most of my slicing type cuts. They are a great blade. The granton edge really helps release the suction on the blade to let it move easier. Also forschner knives hold a good edge and also sharpen easily. The only drawback to a big knife is its weight which you won't even notice if your not using it all day.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
After reading about this knife in STS I found one at Gregs Custom Rods in Lake Stevens and took it home and after cutting over 40 salmon into fillet's and having to lightly touch up the edge once!!!.....I just wonder why I never knew about this knife 20 years ago?....It is the last fillet knife I will ever use!.....Top of the line!!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are making me feel a little be better about spending the money.

It was an impulse purchase. I was walking around seattle marine and low and behold, the knife section.

It looked so purdy just sitting there that it HAD to come home with me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't really remember- I bought the knife about 5-6 years ago.......maybe $40-50?

I'll tell you - I'd buy another if the need arose.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What kind of edge and/or sharpness do these retain after 4 or 5 fish?

I have a cutco knife and a CRKT knife that both go very dull after a few fish.

Looking for an upgrade.....

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Riverhopper said:
After reading about this knife in STS I found one at Gregs Custom Rods in Lake Stevens and took it home and after cutting over 40 salmon into fillet's and having to lightly touch up the edge once!!!.....I just wonder why I never knew about this knife 20 years ago?....It is the last fillet knife I will ever use!.....Top of the line!!!
I bought 2 Forschner's last year, the 12" and a 9", I won't use anything else. They are expensive but worth every penny. They are the one knife I wont leave on the boat.

My favorite Tuna knife is my 8" Dexter Russell.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My Grandparents were meat cutters and used Forschners. They say they are the best.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I overpaid at Seamar. Like I said, it was glistening there on the wall. I think at one point it actually said, "Jason, buy me, look how shiny and bright I am. Good things will come to you if you over-pay and bring me home right now." I couldn't resist.

I paid just over $65.00. I've seen them on-line in the $40 range.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
if the Knife you got has the Granton edge $65 isnt a bad price. (like the one you pictured in orig. post)

If it was the standard cimeter, then ya those can be found online for about $40

either way, they are great knifes, and you got immediate gratification by buying local Tup:

Ive got a couple of Dexters that work well for most fillet applications, and work great on thumbs too. 2 summers ago I cut about 1/3 of the way thru my thumb before i felt anything. A few stitches later at the ER and I was good to go.. :oops:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts