Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have one with the little tub on the side of the gun.If that's the one your talking about.Its a lot easier to pull up on and get the clam.I only have one and I have to fight over it with my kids and wife.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We actually bought 2 Clamhawk Pro's last Friday from the maker. Really nice pieces. The clamming was awful, but the Clamhawk worked well. My wife has had bilateral wrist surgeries within the last year, and she was easily pulling huge cores of sand from the beach. The side vent tube made it feel like the suction was not working, like when a PVC tube has a leak, but it still dumped big cores of sand out. Overall, I'm really impressed so far, and the maker seems like a nice guy. We saw the video, called him, and luckily for us he was passing nearby our house that day, so we met up with him, purchased the 2 guns and a crabhawk he had. Nice to buy stuff made in America too. The gun is also pretty light for its size. I'm looking forward to trying it again in better surf conditions. clap:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. Glad to hear the positive comments. I also watched the video and was really impressed with the ease of digging. I just ordered 2 guns from Steven the owner. He is making some deliveries next week in the Lacey area so I will meet him March 6th. Just in time for the next dig. YES they are "MADE IN THE USA." another reason the buy them.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Cool! We have gone through a bunch of guns. PVC, aluminum. I'm on the fence with these due to the cost. Please post your results and evaluation. We dig a lot of clams, so if these work as well as they say they do. We're all in.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bay Wolf said:
Cool! We have gone through a bunch of guns. PVC, aluminum. I'm on the fence with these due to the cost. Please post your results and evaluation. We dig a lot of clams, so if these work as well as they say they do. We're all in.
What is the cost?....can't find it on the web site....I have jacked up ribs but want to go clamming and this gun looks like it takes a whole lot less effort that my home made stainless 1" riser diameter unit.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Moodyfisherman said:
Bay Wolf said:
What is the cost?....can't find it on the web site....I have jacked up ribs but want to go clamming and this gun looks like it takes a whole lot less effort that my home made stainless 1" riser diameter unit.
Got an email from them: the shorter unit is $90.00. The taller is $100.00

That's a lot of loot for a clam gun. But if it's the last one I need to buy, then it's worth it in the long run. The problem is, we use our guns sooooo much, they don't last but a season or two. Our last two aluminum guns that had the extended t handle, broke at the weld the very first trip!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have had my clamhawk for over a year they work great and you do not have to work as hard as you do with other clam gun's. The only thing I would change is to increase the diameter of the tube other then that they are great!! Tup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bay Wolf said:
Moodyfisherman said:
Bay Wolf said:
Got an email from them: the shorter unit is $90.00. The taller is $100.00

That's a lot of loot for a clam gun. But if it's the last one I need to buy, then it's worth it in the long run. The problem is, we use our guns sooooo much, they don't last but a season or two. Our last two aluminum guns that had the extended t handle, broke at the weld the very first trip!
The Danielson aluminum guns they sell at the PX are garbage Top. We bought one a few weeks back and it broke the second time out. That's why we started looking around, and found the clamhawk. It's nice, has composite construction; the tube is stainless steel, the handle parts are a heavier gauge PVC that is caulked and screwed to the stainless. Pretty neat design.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If I see one for sale anywhere I might stumble into I'm gonna buy it.

I know it's pretty embarrassing to use one as I've been a shovel digger
for over 50 years but I can't hardly get back up after getting down on
1 knee anymore as I am the,

oldguy

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
oldguy said:

oldguy
The top of you is a lot further away from the sand than most people too. That also makes getting up harder! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
fishslave said:
oldguy said:

oldguy
The top of you is a lot further away from the sand than most people too. That also makes getting up harder! :mrgreen:
Did you really mean that the top of me is really heavier than the bottom? I thought so!

oldguy

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
In the process of building one for myself and should have it done maybe tomorrow
if I can get the old stainless steel tube cut in to that I have had for over 30 years that has
never left my shop. Hard to believe that it is the right size to fit the 4x2 plastic fitting
that I need to attach the handle. I already have all the plastic parts made.

If I was not so broken down I would never be seen useing a tube as it is
quite embarrassing but I am the,

oldguy

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
oldguy said:
In the process of building one for myself and should have it done maybe tomorrow
if I can get the old stainless steel tube cut in to that I have had for over 30 years that has
never left my shop. Hard to believe that it is the right size to fit the 4x2 plastic fitting
that I need to attach the handle. I already have all the plastic parts made.

If I was not so broken down I would never be seen useing a tube as it is
quite embarrassing but I am the,

oldguy
Just run a backhoe down.... You can sit while you dig, won't get wet and have limits in one scoop. wink:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey OLD GUY--Perhaps if you would have used a clam gun instead of a shovel for the last 50 years you would not be so broken down as you say & you just might be able to bend down and tie your shoes. Help us out here. What is so embarrassing about using a clam gun :?: Is that a 1950's sort of thing :eek:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts