Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any showed up yet in that neck of the woods. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I havent heard but I will ran down to Gearhart this afternoon when I run into work to grab my boots. I will let you guys know what I find out.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Ran down to Gearhart around 4pm today and I didn't see any signs of life. It was raining like crazy so I didn't get out of the truck to investigate but no birds no seals that I could see. River is gettin high with all the rain though.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
lower cow is puking mud now...pretty clear until just a few days ago.
No sign of smelt all of this past week and I am sorry not to have posted something earlier for you northerners.
IF we get any kind of run at all I am thinking each of the next three saturdays should be set aside for making an effort to put some bait in the freezer.
We may only get a few again this year and those may posibly be the big males that come in earlier than the possibly now extinct females that show in good numbers in march/april.
Never thought I would see the day when smelt are 8 bucks a pound.....same as a porterhouse steak.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gordy and OAB, I think I may go down tomorrow and do some sturgeon fishing on the Cow. The water warmed up to 41 and the smelt usually like it 40 or better. Should bring a few sturgeon in out of the Big C as well. We will see. Thanks for the information.

Clay

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we are just going to bank it at Carnival Market or down by the prison Gordy. We will be in a red 4 door Explorer Sport Trac or little red Monte Carlo car. Tup:

Hopefully we see ya. We probably won't get fishing until about 8.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
gordygroover said:
lower cow is puking mud now...pretty clear until just a few days ago.
No sign of smelt all of this past week and I am sorry not to have posted something earlier for you northerners.
IF we get any kind of run at all I am thinking each of the next three saturdays should be set aside for making an effort to put some bait in the freezer.
We may only get a few again this year and those may posibly be the big males that come in earlier than the possibly now extinct females that show in good numbers in march/april.
Never thought I would see the day when smelt are 8 bucks a pound.....same as a porterhouse steak.
Wow 30 years ago I was ten years old , Thinking I was cool netting smelt off the beach on Hoods canal with My Dad , And few came into area 13 where I grew up , My Dad alway's said since they let the draggers in puget sound in the 70'S Everything has been ruined

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
codliveroil said:
Wow 30 years ago I was ten years old , Thinking I was cool netting smelt off the beach on Hoods canal with My Dad , And few came into area 13 where I grew up , My Dad alway's said since they let the draggers in puget sound in the 70'S Everything has been ruined
Different kind of smelt in Puget Sound versus those in the Cowlitz. Similar situation though for both PS and the Cow... the smelting is not as good now as they were years ago.

Although, I can usually jig up a limit in Puget Sound by putting in serious effort... I can't say the same about the Cowlitz smelt however.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FIshed for sturgeon near Carnival Market today and did see quite a few seals and birds. We did see one bird with a smelt in its mouth. Saturday might be a good day to try for smelt.

We got one shaker sturgeon and I crackered a nice big one. :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts