Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the Cow smelt report if you guys got any yet.
Too long of a drive to go find out. Just hoping for some locals to give an update.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Iron Head said:
I am looking for the Cow smelt report if you guys got any yet.
Too long of a drive to go find out. Just hoping for some locals to give an update.

Thanks
the reports on iFish.net are that it is DEAD. No seagulls or sea lions, a few people dipping, and zero smelt.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Greetings from the mouth of the Cowlitz..
Absolutely none dipped this Saturday. The commercials got 700 lbs total from the Big C and the price for fresh smelt is hoovering between six to eight bucks a lb.
True statement from above that there is absolutely no sign of smelt in regards to sea=gull activity but there are some seals working the stretch of the Columbia here in longview. With Steelies in and some early Springers showing I think the seals are targeting the bigger fish exclusively.
I will make a post the minute I see a bird hitting the water.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If the smelt run is such a poor return why does the Washington fish and game let commercial netting continue ?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I hear ya, what a bunch of crap. I swear, how stupid are the people making these decisions. Are the few smelt caught commercially really that big of a deal anyway. This state is a mess with commercial BS.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Gearheart was not dredged.. The permit to allow dredging only allowed deepening of the channel to aid in flood control. Most of you know that the channell is on the other side of the river so as of now the boat launch is in worse shape than ever.
Willow Grove launch, downstream from the mouth of the Cowlitz on the Big C will also be shut down all of Feb as it too is filling in. Fortunately it will be a much cheaper and quicker dredge job and should be completed in time for the peak of the Springer run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts