Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang:

Last weekend I got my VHF radio installed in the boat... While out at Possession I did a radio check and was told by Seattle CG that they had me loud and clear... Just so I don't make an a$$ out of myself on the water, I would really appreciate a little advice regarding the do's and don'ts of the VHF... Here are some questions:

1) What channel should I monitor for people to call me? One guy posted that he tried to call me on 68, but I was monitoring 16. Is 68 the local monitoring channel?

2) Once I get someone (or someone gets me) on whatever channel you guys tell me to monitor, then should we switch to a different channel, or just talk on the same channel we monitor?

3) If we are supposed to switch, are there specific channels that we should switch to. I believe certain channels are dedicated to certain purposes.

4) How does one select a radio handle? Is it your regular name, the boat name, or will Lord Master be okay? :D

5) Is there common radio "lingo" that every one uses up here that I should be aware of and understand?

I really appreciate everything that all of you have helped me with... The boys and I are really enjoying winter BM fishing in the Sound!!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I your radio has a scan function, then I would set it to at least 16 and 68. There are several more open channels. I'm sure I will be corrected, but I believe if you have a radio you are supposed to monitor Ch 16, the emergency channel. You can contact someone on that channel, then switch to one like 68 for the conversation. I would get a good boating book like Chapmans(?) and read about radio procedures. Or try the internet. I'm sure there are lots of things on the net aobut marine radio procedures.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Most VHF's have a triple watch or scan function that enables you to monitor CH 16 (as required by law) and the other channels you're interested in.

Each channel frequency has a designated purpose, and by law is reserved for that purpose. Here are the ones to know for Puget Sound

Ch 16....emergency and hailing (make contact on this first, then switch to a 'working channel')
Ch 13....bridge to bridge. IE, ships communicating between themselves or vessels communicating with drawbridges (Montlake, South Park, 1st Ave, etc)
Ch 14 Puget Sound VTS (Vessel Traffic System) Like an aircraft controller, only for vessels. All tugs, ferries, ships, etc check into the VTS system via this channel and then VTS tells them what traffic they'll encounter enroute....kind of like an air traffic controller does for planes. This channel is a great one to monitor for crowded places like Elliot Bay so you know when the and where the big boys are coming (and to get out of their way)
CH 22Alpha....This is the USCG's working channel. After reaching them on 16, they will instruct you to switch to this channel.
CH 68....the primary recreational channel for Puget Sound fishermen. 69,70, & 71 are ok as well.

~Your radio handle can be whatever you wish as long as not obsene (per FCC). Commonly the name of your vessel. If your vessel isn't named, your WN#'s are best.

~Lingo: Here are the main ones to know:

May DAY; Only to be used in situations of extreme danger where loss of life or injury or vessel on fire, taking on water, etc.
Pahn Pahn (promounced 'pon pon'); an urgent message concerning the saftey of a person or vessel, man overboard, etc.
Securite (pronounced 'securitay'); a message concerning weather or hazards to navigation.

-Here is how a proper conversation would go starting with hailing your friend on ch 16 (if you knew he was on 68 or other proper recreational channel, you'd skip this step) 16 is the hailing channel because everyone is on this channel by law.

(For this example you are Gamefishin and we're trying to see if Iceshark is catching anything)

1) "Iceshark, Iceshark, this is Gamefishin channel ONE SIX over'
2) 'Gamefishin this is Iceshark ONE SIX'
3) 'ICEshark, let's switch to Ch Six Eight over'
4) 'ICE switching to 68'
once on CH 68:
1)'Iceshark, Gamefishin Ch Six Eight over...'
2)'Go ahead Gamefishin...'
3) 'JUst wondering how things are going this morning up there. Over'
4) 'We're just killing them ....blah blah blah'. Over'
5) 'Ok great, we may join you if things don't pick up down here. Talk with you later. Gamefishin back to Ch ONE SIX'
6) 'Rodger that, good luck. Ice back to ONE SIX.'

Good for you wanting to know the proper proceedures/etiquet. clap: So many people let their kids play on the radio, or treat it like their personal chat line. They sound like a bunch of clowns Tdown:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Wait just one minute. You will never hear Iceshark saying that we are killin them but the blah,blah,blah part is accurate. :lol: I take the shortcut and monitor on 16 and 68, but always hail boaters on 68. As far as handles, I just use the same handle I use on Gamefishin.com. I am only interested in talking to other Gamefishers, while I am on the water, anyway. When I did have to talk to the Coast Guard on one occasion, they just called me "the unnamed Sea Ray in Apple Cove" .

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Make sure the channel you are switching to is clear.
Don't walk on someone else's conversation.
Keep the kids off the radio.
Keep the conversation short.
Watch the profanity.
Make sure you don't leave the mike keyed, especially on 16, coasties get a little upset.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Lk WA fisher said:
Most VHF's have a triple watch or scan function that enables you to monitor CH 16 (as required by law) and the other channels you're interested in.

Each channel frequency has a designated purpose, and by law is reserved for that purpose. Here are the ones to know for Puget Sound

Ch 16....emergency and hailing (make contact on this first, then switch to a 'working channel')
Ch 13....bridge to bridge. IE, ships communicating between themselves or vessels communicating with drawbridges (Montlake, South Park, 1st Ave, etc)
Ch 14 Puget Sound VTS (Vessel Traffic System) Like an aircraft controller, only for vessels. All tugs, ferries, ships, etc check into the VTS system via this channel and then VTS tells them what traffic they'll encounter enroute....kind of like an air traffic controller does for planes. This channel is a great one to monitor for crowded places like Elliot Bay so you know when the and where the big boys are coming (and to get out of their way)
CH 22Alpha....This is the USCG's working channel. After reaching them on 16, they will instruct you to switch to this channel.
CH 68....the primary recreational channel for Puget Sound fishermen. 69,70, & 71 are ok as well.

~Your radio handle can be whatever you wish as long as not obsene (per FCC). Commonly the name of your vessel. If your vessel isn't named, your WN#'s are best.

~Lingo: Here are the main ones to know:

May DAY; Only to be used in situations of extreme danger where loss of life or injury or vessel on fire, taking on water, etc.
Pahn Pahn (promounced 'pon pon'); an urgent message concerning the saftey of a person or vessel, man overboard, etc.
Securite (pronounced 'securitay'); a message concerning weather or hazards to navigation.

-Here is how a proper conversation would go starting with hailing your friend on ch 16 (if you knew he was on 68 or other proper recreational channel, you'd skip this step) 16 is the hailing channel because everyone is on this channel by law.

(For this example you are Gamefishin and we're trying to see if Iceshark is catching anything)

1) "Iceshark, Iceshark, this is Gamefishin channel ONE SIX over'
2) 'Gamefishin this is Iceshark ONE SIX'
3) 'ICEshark, let's switch to Ch Six Eight over'
4) 'ICE switching to 68'
once on CH 68:
1)'Iceshark, Gamefishin Ch Six Eight over...'
2)'Go ahead Gamefishin...'
3) 'JUst wondering how things are going this morning up there. Over'
4)"I just got back on board after taking an unplanned swim. I appear to be lost in the fog, and am running extremely low on Carl's Jr. Burgers. Am thinking about scheduling an airdrop to resupply later on, once I figure out where I am...Blah, blah , Blah..........
5) 'Ok great, we may join you if things don't pick up down here. Talk with you later. Gamefishin back to Ch ONE SIX'
6) 'Rodger that, good luck. Ice back to ONE SIX.'

Good for you wanting to know the proper proceedures/etiquet. clap: So many people let their kids play on the radio, or treat it like their personal chat line. They sound like a bunch of clowns Tdown:
That's one of the best posts I've seen in a long time regarding proper radio procedures. Very well done Lake WA Fisher Tup: !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts