Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is your guys take on using Anisescent for steelhead?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
steelhead are more sight oriented. so, having scent will not be that crucial, as compared to salmon.

That being said, I've hooked steelies this winter on anise scented yarn, and also on unscented yarn.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I use the stuff all the time Sturgeon, another one of those NEVER be without Sturgeon scents. I buy it in bulk at "The SPICE BARN" here is the link to the Anise. Cheapest way to buy it from my research, and I go through lots of it in a season.

http://spicebarn.com/anise_extract,_pure.htm

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
I use the Anise Extract. But someone posted once that you shouldn't use it because it has alcohol in it. And that the pure anise oil in better. Anyone have any thoughts on that ?? I don't seem to have any problems with the extract myself.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Never had a problem with the extract, probably boat 300 to 400 sturgeon each year on it. I do know that the pure stuff will turn solid in cold weather though. Which for most of us that fish year around that wouldn't work too well.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Alcohol evaporates faster than oil. Would this make a difference since it is going in water?

·
Registered
940 Posts
wannafish said:
Alcohol evaporates faster than oil. Would this make a difference since it is going in water?
I use the extract on Sand Shrimp for sturgeon all the time. To give you an idea "wannafish" how long the extract with alcohol lasts on a bait. Many times I have brought baits in after 20 to 30 minutes and the smell of anise was still there and very strong. So, I would have to say that NO the alcohol makes very little difference.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Use it all the time, based on a few really good fishermen I know use it wink:

G

·
I always have several forms of that in my bag. I use the Pro-cure extract the grocery store or one i stole from my moms cooking drawer. I also keep jensen eggs around.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just got some new on the market Pro-Cure Anise/Krill Super Gel with UV Flash at Sportco yesterday. Have done very well with any of the anise scents through the years. Read a article in STS on Pro-Cure UV Flash scents used in the salt up in BC for kings this summer with spectacular results. I think the UV Flash scents could help in dirty to off color river water and night fishing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
wannafish said:
Exactly! But that is a good thing Alcohol mixes with water oil don't the alcohol will help the anise spread out by mixing with the water.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've always liked Smelly Jelly's Special Mix. Anise and Shrimp. I love the smell of anise and have even put a dab on my upper lip, but that was in combination with a few Coors Lights.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Probably the best all purpose scent around. I have found out tho that TOO much anise scent or using it straight turns off perch and crappy, but mixed with other scents works great.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Netdab said:
Probably the best all purpose scent around. I have found out tho that TOO much anise scent or using it straight turns off perch and crappy, but mixed with other scents works great.
Anyone have any idea how well anise oil would work on Walleye? Or burbot?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts