Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred's out. I think there will really be two candidates after Florida if Gulliani fails there. McCain and Romney will slug it out for the top spot. IMO Huckabee is about done. After SuperTues it should be a much clearer picture. I think Fred would take a VP job with McCain but I'm not sure about Romney's choice for the same position.

I think Hillary is slowly gettng a good hold on the Dem side as Obama is struggling to fend off Bill's attacks. Who would be under consideration for her VP running mate? I'm not sure how attractive that job would be as the VP would really be the #3 guy behind Bill. Would Obama take that gig?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
No way McCain picks Thompson as his running mate if he gets the nod. Too much ego there and Thompson just ain't drawin' ANY support from any of the Republican bases. I say Lindsay Graham or Joe Leiberman.

If Romney gets it... who knows? He'll need to bolster his support among Evangelicals... Huckabee? Nah. Perhaps another prominent southern member of Congress? Haley Barbour?

Don't count Huck out just yet. ;)

Thompson never really wanted it bad enough anyway... so C'est la Vie! :roll:

I think the squabbling between Bill, Hillary and Obama hurts Hillary more than anyone. When it's all said and done... Obama / Richardson. Tup:

Shipoopi... take that to the bank! :D

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
I would have thought Rudy to have been a stronger candidate but I think he is about done.

Huckabee? Go home dude so you stop getting schooled.

Obama and Hillary are hurting themselves lately in the debates. Stop trying one up over what the heck you were doing when and where and talk about what you can bring for crying out loud.

I am at a loss for who I want to see moving forward. Almost easier to wipe the slate and start over with the list we get to choose from this time :oops:

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
I cant stand any of them. Like Ron Paul best but he wont get anywhere. Does not matter. Democrats win next presidancy with not problem. Its all over due to Bush.

I also am suprised Gulliani is doing so poorly. I was going to vote for him. It will be Mcain and I liked him last time but not now.

At this point I dont even care. YIKES>

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Consider this!

The one candidate who is way ahead of the field is the same one who is constantly under attack from both the media and the competition. The one they fear the most.

Have you noticed how all of the Republican candidates can barely conceal their contempt for Governor Mitt Romney? It goes way beyond the typical good-natured competition that usually is the hallmark of Republican contests. Senator McCain has snarled at Governor Romney in debates and Gov. Huckabee has tried to paint Romney as cold and uncaring, while Sen. Fred Thompson attacked Governor Romney right out of the box. This display of hatred usually is the hallmark of the Democrats.

So, why do the other candidates hate Mitt Romney? Several reasons:

1. He can win. Governor Romney appeals to economic conservatives and could appeal to foreign policy conservatives based upon his understanding of the issues. Most non-partisan foreign policy wonks who have briefed the major candidates tell me that Romney "gets it" better than any other candidate -- even better than those who have held high profile office for decades. Moreover, he is the candidate that the Democrats most fear.

2. Jealousy -- from his hair to his appearance to his family to his money - these are all reasons for deep seeded, if unseemly, jealousy. This green-eyed monster makes its appearance in almost every speech or presentation, in the form of a joke, a jab or a veiled reference.

3. He isn't beholden to interest groups. Governor Romney's wealth frees him from any influence that interest groups could apply to others - especially those who lack funds or who are Washington insiders. He doesn't need them, and that scares the interest groups and their allies. He is not of the game and wants to change it - and his personal wealth allows him to do so. He really can change Washington.

4. His brains - not only is he one of the smartest people ever to seek the presidency (having earned a Harvard MBA and JD simultaneously), but he understands the complexities of the issues that America faces and is able to devise workable solutions. Just look at his proposal for an economic stimulus and compare it to what the other candidates are proposing. Romney clearly can lead this country through economic challenges.

5. His wealth -- again. While he has raised more than any other candidate, Governor Romney doesn't need to raise the money in order to continue. Nevertheless, he understands that successful candidates must have people invested in their candidacy in order to succeed. He has learned the lessons of past wealthy businessmen who make vanity runs for the White House. The other candidates have to constantly raise money in order to continue their campaigns.

6. His experience. The rest of the Republican field has been in politics in one form or another for most of their adult lives. Governor Romney came to public service after having a successful career in which he directly created jobs, saved jobs, invested in new companies and turned around failed businesses. He even fixed both the Olympics and the failing state of Massachusetts. More than any other candidate, Governor Romney's experience is most directly applicable to the average American's situation.

7. He believes that America's best days are ahead of it, and not a memory. Governor Romney is a man of the future, not of the past. He sees America as a beacon of freedom for the entire world, and not a country limping toward its last days. His infectious optimism is informed by his business experience, his love of country and his family values. His can-do spirit is the antidote to defeatism masked as "straight talk" or "reality."

8. His beliefs. When all else fails, Governor Romney's opponents attack his religion in the hopes of sowing fear and loathing. Not only is this unseemly, but it is dangerous. We have seen this type of rhetoric before - in the 1920's and 1930's - from the likes of Henry Ford and Father Caughlin and others who sought to disenfranchise whole segments of the American population. Governor Romney believes in the common American faith of democracy and religious freedom, as he so eloquently stated in his speech "Faith in America." These are the values our Founding Fathers codified in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

Why do the Republican candidates hate him? Because they don't have any answers to his challenges. They seek to undermine him by using personal attacks more worthy of a middle school playground than a presidential contest. This is politics and Washington as usual, and choosing any candidate that employs these tactics will only get us more of the same. One would hope that Americans could see beyond these base attacks and choose the candidate who is best for the country - Governor Mitt Romney.
Hat Tip to the American Thinker!

I am still wondering who he will pick for VP?

:) :) :)

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Sorry DBA but she has too much baggage from the Bush era.

Although she is a lot better in her present job than Rummy who was a real DUMBO.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
I could vote for Romney. Maybe I could vote for McCain, but it would be more difficult. I still hold the foolishness of the McCain Feingold bs against him.

Why is it that when someone dislikes a politician he automatically becomes a Dumbo? I can think of a lot of things to call Rumsfield, however dumb is not one of the epithets.

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
Huck's out. Juliani and McCain's out, too liberal. Fred I liked (conservative) but got started too late and lacks enthusiasm. So that leaves Romney. Plenty of money to sustain a campaign. Experienced successful business man. Experienced with government yet not a Washington insider. Opposes abortion. Strong on the war on Islamo fascist. Supports making permanent the Bush tax cuts. Strong on boarder security. Supports school vouchers and or competition. Will beat both Hillary and Obama head to head.

Obama has no chance against the Clinton machine. He's running against two people. An ex-president and sitting Senator , he has no chance to get the nomination.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Romney has potential but still my favorite. McCain I am not sure I trust him, weird character. Huckabee ... um, no. Ron Paul and Rudy are about gone ... so what option do you have.

Then you look at the Demodinks and you have the 2 children ... Sillary and Owhino crying over each others spilled milk. Edwards seems like an intelligent guy but nobody is really all that interested. Gravel and Kucinich are about gone so you have a real tough choice here too.

Pretty damn sad choice of Candidates when you get right down to it. Debates started off with good information, strong points to support positions and have already dropped to cheesy name calling crap.

We need to flush and start over here :shock:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I have been voting for over 40 years and this is the sorriest bunch of weirdo’s I have ever seen put up for consideration. And that goes for both sides. Even the middle has nothing great to offer.

It is sickening how far into the toilet politics has slid. Like SportJet said, we need to flush and start over.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
I cannot disagree with that last line Major. But what's to be done? We're stuck with th sty of candidates the parties have foisted on the public. How do you fix it?
I guess a major bend in the road would be if the gun grabbers try to disarm us all. Hopefully the real militia will man the barricades at that point. And hopefully the rest of the world will let us sort it out without chipping in. Fat chance.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Well there's a few things ya gotta consider before makin' the big flush there SJ. From the sound of it... I'm guessin you're a Republican? And as such... the squabblin' between Hillary and Obama shouldn't mean a hill o' beans to you... unless you're actually considering voting for one of them in the general election. conf:

Enjoy the entertainment!

These are the PRIMARY elections! This is where the mud get's slung! Democratic primary voters are the only ones who should be concerned about their candidate's conduct. Seems to me that McCain, Romney, Huckabee and Giuliani have been doin' their fair share of squabblin' and using negative campaign ads against each other as well. Welcome to American politics!

If you like Romney in the general... declare your Republican party affiliation and hope that Washington State doesn't cancel it's primary...or you'll have to attend a local caucus to have your voice heard. Either way... at least you can feel good about actually getting active in the process... instead of sitting back and wanting to 'flush' it. wink:

Bonzo - I always figured you to be more of a Tom Tancredo, Ducan Hunter, Benito Mussolini kinda guy? wink:

It's kinda weird to see you out there expressing someone else's opinion (American Thinker... OHH the irony there! :D ) in support of Romney?
You DO realize he's actually a liberal right? Ya better like the positions that he takes today... 'cause you know damn well they're gonna change tomorrow... dependin' on which interest group he's panderin' to at the time. clown: :lol:

It's weird to see ff supportin Romney too? Attilla the Hun is too freakin' liberal for him! :lol: :lol:

Stranger things have happened though...

I disagree completely Major! Surprise... surprise... surprise! wink: :p

What about McGovern in '72, Mondale in '84, Dukakis in '88... and the ULTIMATE pathetic dipsh!t... George W. Bush in 2000? NOBODY will EVER top him... at least not in my lifetime! :eek:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I didn’t say that we never had weird ones before I just said this is the sorriest bunch of weirdo’s I have ever seen. They seem to get worse every time around.

Or maybe it’s just that I have learned how to spot the BS easier each time.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Webo - your post has my stomach hurting from the laughter. I have been somewhat Repub in the past although I admit I voted for Clinton :mrgreen: because I felt he was the smarter guy (I still think I was right). Course ... I have also voted for a few Republican nutjobs as well :eek: so I'm kida a flip flopper on who I believe should run the country. I started watching this year with an open mind and quite honestly between the two parties Obooby and Romney are the ones who impressed me the most just listening to their messages. Lately though I think Sillary has gotten into Obama's head and its hurting his cause.

Giving the pathetic list to pick from I am actually ok with either candidate. Just please make sure it isnt Hillary. My taxes cant afford her. sick:

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
The latest out of the GOP is that McCain is gonna take the Florida debate thursday night and become a front runner.

I think given the age group and money living in Florida Romney is going to use deep pockets and flush McCain this week :mrgreen:

Thats my prediciton and I'm stickin to it :shock:

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Geraldo Rivera Republican
Americans should remember John McCain's open-borders demagoguery.

By Michelle Malkin

After spearheading a disastrous, security-undermining, illegal-alien amnesty bill last year with Teddy Kennedy, “straight-talking� GOP Sen. John McCain claims he has seen the light. In TV appearances, he vows to put immigration enforcement first. On the campaign trail, he offers a perfunctory promise to strengthen border security and emphasizes the need to restore Americans’ trust in their government’s ability to defend the homeland.

“I got the message,� he told voters in South Carolina. “We will secure the borders first.�

But how can McCain cure citizens’ distrust when his own credibility on the issue remains fatally damaged? He doesn’t believe his own election-year spin. And he knows we know it. This is cynicism on steroids with a speedball chaser.

Not all of us have forgotten how the short-fused Arizona senator cursed good-faith opponents in his own party (“F**k you!� and “Chickensh*t� were the choice words he had for Texas GOP Senator John Cornyn during a spat over enforcement provisions). Not all of us have forgotten that he voted against barring felons from receiving amnesty benefits under his plan.Not all of us have forgotten the underhanded, debate-sabotaging manner in which McCain, Kennedy, Lindsey Graham, and Harry Reid conspired to ram their package down voters’ throats.His admission of the shamnesty failure is grudging and bitter. While he now tells conservative voters what they want to hear about the need to build the southern border fence, he takes a contemptuous tone toward physical barriers when talking to businessmen. “By the way, I think the fence is least effective,� he told executives in Milwaukee, according to a recent Vanity Fair profile. “But I’ll build the goddamned fence if they want it.� Straight talk? Try hate talk.

For all his supposed new-found enlightenment about what most Americans want â€" protection against invasion, commitment to the rule of law, meaningful employer sanctions, an end to sanctuary cities, enforcement-by-attrition plus deportation reform, and an end to special illegal-alien benefits that invite more law-breaking â€" the Maverick remains a Geraldo Rivera Republican. Like the ethnocentric cable TV host who can’t string a sentence about immigration together without drowning in demagoguery, McCain naturally resorts to open-borders platitudes when pressed for enforcement specifics.

Instead of emphasizing the need for local and state cooperation with federal immigration authorities to prevent the release of illegal-alien criminals, or discussing wholly preventable crimes by illegal-alien thugs who should never have been on American soil in the first place, McCain harps on open-borders sob stories. Several times over the past year, in response to citizen questioners who have expressed frustration with the lack of accountability for immigration law-breakers, McCain has responded: “I am not going to call up a soldier and tell him I am deporting his mother. . . . I’m not going to do it. You can do it.�

But what if that mother had stolen an American citizen’s Social Security number to work here illegally? What if she had been previously deported, re-entered illegally, and had been convicted of previous crimes? What if she were part of a human-smuggling ring? What if she had been working in a sensitive area â€" airport security, a military base, a port? Would he still refuse to abide by his constitutional obligation to provide for the common defense and secure the blessings of liberty for law-abiding Americans?

If McCain refuses to enforce immigration law against illegal-alien parents of soldiers, what about illegal-alien soldiers who used stolen or fake identification to get into the military? And why only illegal-alien parents of soldiers? Why not illegal-alien parents of police officers, teachers, doctors, and store owners? McCain’s selective enforcement policy is the exact recipe for the immigration anarchy that we have today.

The hothead has succeeded in intimidating voters and eluding tough questions from the press by playing his rhetorical violin. There is a reason so many liberals in the media and the Democratic party want John McCain to be the GOP presidential nominee. He gives them cover to continue smearing grassroots conservatives.

In Michigan, the illegal-alien parent-of-a-soldier story was met with boos. McCain’s cheerleaders at the New York Times and other press outlets attempted to depict the detractors as insensitive and racist boors â€" just as they did during last year’s ill-fated shamnesty campaign.

McCain has learned nothing. What about us :?:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts