Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tickets are limited to 800 this year. Harbormaster figures we can acommodate 200 plus boats for free moorage. No guarantees ... on a first come first serve basis.

I can almost guarantee better weather than we had last year. Give me a shout if you have any questions or concerns.

Blackmouth opens Friday in MA7. See you out there!

Jay

Press Release
January 30, 2008

Anacortes Salmon Derby Tickets Go On Sale

ANACORTES â€" The Fidalgo Island Chapter of the Puget Sound Anglers announces that Derby tickets will be available February 1st, for the 2008 event to held March 29th and 30th

This event boasts $20,000 in prize money and thousands more in merchandise, with a $10,000 first place prize sponsored by Trophy Boats.

Much to the organizers' surprise, the first annual Anacortes Salmon Derby exceeded expectations by attracting 752 contestants. Last year, this event raised $24,000 for scholarships, which benefited students pursuing careers in fisheries and related sciences. Only 800 tickets will be available for purchase this year. The $50.00 purchase price includes free moorage and free launching at the Cap Sante Boat Haven, along with a host of other activities.

A Friday night, voluntary kick-off meeting will feature Capt. John Keizer speaking on Blackmouth Salmon fishing techniques, and Jay Field will talk about the where to fish in the San Juans. Saturday night brings a no host social featuring the Anacortes Brewery’s finest products, followed up with a free BBQ on Sunday afternoon during the awards ceremony. Joel Shangle of KJR Radio’s Northwest Wild Country Show will bring his crew to the derby for a remote live broadcast - while Glenn Hall of FSN will film his popular Hawg Quest TV Show around the derby.

“I expect ticket sales to be brisk� said Derby Chairman Jay Field, “… due to the limited number of tickets to be sold, our schedule of events, prize money, and a limit on slip availability in the marina.� “Our goal is to once again, produce and host the premier Salmon Derby in the Northwest while raising money for scholarships.�

. Tickets may be purchase at the following locations:
o Holiday Sports Burlington
o Ace Hardware Anacortes
o LFS Marine & Outdoor Bellingham
o Outdoor Emporium Seattle
o John’s Sporting Goods Everett
o Sportco Fife
o Auburn Sports and Marine Auburn
o Ace Hardware Oak Harbor
o Three Rivers Marine Woodinville

For more information go to http://www.anacortessalmonderby.com

-30-

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will be there. The weather will certainly be better than last year, it couldn't get worse than that mess we were in up there in 07.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Jay,

We were all set for a return trip, then the wife reminded me that that is her birthday weekend. So, needless to say, I won't be borrowing any downrigger balls from you this year.

For those thinking about going to this derby, it is a well run event in a beautifull area. We had a reat time last year. Even though we caught no fish, lost every DR ball I brought and scared the crap out of CommanderX in the wind.

One tip I can share is this. Don't drag your DR balls on the bottom like at Pt. Defiance. It only took me 5 DR balls, about 600 yards of cable, 5 snubbers, 5 DR release clips, 4 flashers, 3 spoons and 1 hoochie to learn this. I hope you will learn on a quicker/cheaper curve.

As Forrest Gump once said, "I am not a smart man."

Hope all goes well and that a Gamefisher brings home that $10,000.00 first prize.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hopefully the weather isn't as bad as last years. Maybe this will be my year to catch one. Good luck to all and seeya out on the water.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kelly,

Sorry to hear you can't make it up this year. Next year ... we'll either have to change the Derby dates - or your wife's b-day!

Keep in touch - and give me a shout when you get up this way.

Jay

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Jay,

I should be around on that friday and friday night to help out as requested, but sat & sun Ill be on the water! I'll be out on this Saturday, so if you see me give me a shout!

Rook

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack ,

I'll be looking for the big cat boat. Let me know if there's anything you need.

Garrett,

I'll keep an eye peeled for you this weekend. I'm going tomorrow - even if it blows a gale. Been on the porch too long. Hail me on VHF 16.

Keep in touch.

Jay

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you two are # 1&2 I must be #003 Tup: Thanks Ben!!!!!! I hope you don't feel bad when I catch a bigger fish than you. :lol:

Dad

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Bing,
Weather HAS to be better than last year.
Gee, maybe I'll even get back into my port of departure this year!

Netman and I have out tickets.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I could have sworn that I posted this last night.

Where would a guy with boat and camper stay?

Does the weigh in station only have a sling type launch? I noticed it said no bunk trailers.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm in! Got my name down for boat moorage too.

tictactug said:
I could have sworn that I posted this last night.

Where would a guy with boat and camper stay?

Does the weigh in station only have a sling type launch? I noticed it said no bunk trailers.
There is a parking lot at the north end of the marina that has some RV hookups. I believe they are first come first served. Call the marina office for details and rates.

You can also camp at Washington Park west of town.

The marina only has a sling, but I have sling cutouts in my bunks and they launched it last year. There are a couple ramps in the area, including one at Washington Park. The derby rules indicate that there will be a "courtesy check-in location on the water at Washington Park....for anglers not having moorage at Cap Sante".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts