American Lake | Gamefishin.com

American Lake

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by jdlunk, Apr 27, 2008.

1. jdlunk

jdlunk Member

Well, I got my first Kokes in my own boat on Saturday. I have caught countless Kokes in Utah but these are my first in this state and in my own boat. We hit the water about 0615 and had two in the boat by 0640, and I figured we were going to hammer them. I did not catch the last two until between 11-12. We found them in 20-40 feet of water and got them on a spoon. Will be cooking them up tomorrow, Yummmy.
    JDL

Attached Files:

2. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Phucking awesome dude! Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup:

best fish eating possible Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup:

3. kutthroatkilla

kutthroatkilla Member

Nice fish. Can anyone explain to me how a kokanee tastes? And I'm not talking about my favorite brew. Are they anything like trout, salmon, steelhead? What do they taste like. Once again, kudos man on the catching!

4. Kokanee Kid

Kokanee Kid Active Member

RIGHT ON clap: And thanks for the report too Tup:

Best thing to do is cach some and find out, but after that you might want to quit fishin for cutts. and become a koke. head.

5. T.H.

T.H. Member

Nice lookin' fish. I've put more hours on that lake than I can count without getting any kokes....but I know they are in there and haven't given up hope.

6. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Kutthroatkilla -

I agree with the Kid - go out and give them a try. An interesting fish to target and I think you'll find them to be pretty tasty.

Remember that they are minature sockeye and taste much the same. IMHO as a smoked product they are the best of the salmonids available to most anglers. Rigfht there with sockeye and spring Chinook but are available every year and for a number of months during the year.

Tight lines
    Curt

7. epidemic

epidemic Member

I have friends that refuse to eat trout because it's too "fishy", especially the stockers. Kokanee have NO fishy taste at all they are EXCELLENT! They taste like candy when smoked.

8. jdlunk

jdlunk Member

Has anyone else fished this lake for Kokes recently?

9. kutthroatkilla

kutthroatkilla Member

Good stuff Curt and Chris. I'm going to learn this fishery and then expand from KTK to KTKKK. Maybe someday! :roll: Tup: These fish look awesome and if they taste like salmon I'm all game.

KTK

10. tinman

tinman New Member

They taste a heckuva lot like sockeye salmon (since thats what they are). Best eatin red meat freshwater fish you're gonna find.