American Lake | Gamefishin.com

American Lake

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by jdlunk, Apr 28, 2012.

1. jdlunk

jdlunk Member

Was out on the water at 0500 this morning but did not get the first fish until about 0620 or so. Had a great day, ended up catching 5 kokes and bringing home 4. I got my biggest Koke to date in this state, measured 17 inches, also got a 16 1/2 inch, and the smallest was 14 1/2. I ended up losing 3 other Kokes, one really nice one, and released 4 trout. Fish were caught from 10-25 feet on hoochies and maggots. Got the two biggest Kokes on a size 2 needle fish. I need to figure out how to post pics on here from my phone and once I do I will post some pics. The Kokes this year are big! And will only get bigger as the year goes on Tup:

This was my second trip out to American this year. Last week we ended up with 4 Kokes, 6 trout and lost 5 other fish. So far so good this year! Loving the fact that the fish are bigger this year! Let me tell you it was one tasty dinner tonight!

Attached Files:

2. wannafish

wannafish Well-Known Member

I heard about that massive koke you caught from Kokanee Kid. They are big. Thank you for the great report.

3. eenakok

eenakok Moderator

I saw the picture of that beast! Nice job! My son fed a 16" Kokanee to a bald eagle, that was a pretty cool sight, but my son was bummed out that he lost his fish.

4. fishn2gthr4ever

fishn2gthr4ever Moderator Staff Member

Excellent! Tup: Tup:

5. jdlunk

jdlunk Member

I added the pics of the fish right before I cut em up and the wife cooked em for dinner :D

6. fishing bear

fishing bear Active Member

Nice Job.

7. Kokanee Kid

Kokanee Kid Active Member

You are the man Tup:

Give me a call and i will help you upload your download, or what ever it's called.

8. winterun

winterun Well-Known Member

J,
    Thanks for sharing your report!

Needlefish hmmmmmm?!? I have a friend named Capt Pete Roscoe he's from Port Angeles and fishes Lk Sutherland he use's a lure called the "Kandlefish" he invented. He swear's he catch's bigger fish using it, but he vertical jigs it, I'm still trying to learn that technique for kokes. Was this how you were using the "needlefish" or was it trolled or what I call "motor mooched" while fishing it deep? I understand it works better when fished are schooled up, and you can stay on top of them. Just wanted to better my arsenal over the traditional trolling with bait.

Oh, and did the "Needlefish" have a treble hook on it or a single hook? Just curious because Capt Pete is developing a new jig for various species, kokes are one of them with one of our double hooks we manufacture. So far he's happy with the results, as he got to fish some of his prototypes on Sutherland last season.

Let me know if you'd like to try some since your a "hardware" guy, I've got a few laying around my office and some on the tying bench at home.

See you on the lake,
    Winterun

9. jdlunk

jdlunk Member

I am simply talking the standard needle fish trolling spoon. I also use triple teasers too. I troll exclusively and have never tried jigging for Kokanee. I use a lot of lures when trolling and over the years have had pretty good success overall on most all bodies of water I have fished them.

10. jdlunk

jdlunk Member

I would love to try new gear though for sure. I have never tried jigging but I would if I knew I was on a big school of them. I use lures with a single hook, i do have another lure though that does have a trebble called a z ray. I have several tricks up my sleeve and will be using lures a lot this season. I find that with bigger fish the lures seem to trigger an agression bite. I have several tricks up my sleeve but I can't divulge them all wink:

11. wannafish

I have z ray's but I replace the hooks because they are not very good.

12. Kokanee Kid

Kokanee Kid Active Member

Tup:

13. winterun

winterun Well-Known Member

Jason,

No worries, just wanted to offer up some hooks to try out. As sportsman we are always trying to make a better mouse trap, to be able to shoot farther and flatter, to be able drive a golf ball 400yds on a par 5, to be able to hit a softball 500ft, or to drive a hot lap around Pacific Raceways in under 1:30. We just want to improve anything and everything we touch, it's what we do.

If you like, you and Toni PM me your addresses and I'll be happy to send some hooks for you to try!!!

Chuck,
    There's alot of stuff we keep to ourselves! wink:

See you folks on the water,
    Joe

14. jdlunk

jdlunk Member

Winterun[/quote][/quote]

Jason,

No worries, just wanted to offer up some hooks to try out. As sportsman we are always trying to make a better mouse trap, to be able to shoot farther and flatter, to be able drive a golf ball 400yds on a par 5, to be able to hit a softball 500ft, or to drive a hot lap around Pacific Raceways in under 1:30. We just want to improve anything and everything we touch, it's what we do.

If you like, you and Toni PM me your addresses and I'll be happy to send some hooks for you to try!!!

I appreciate the offer, I always like to try new things, I have a whole box full of stuff and always willing to add more to the aresonal! I am always looking for the next best thing. I am trying to get my hands on some of my Grandpas Lures he uses up at Flaming Gorge. Found out he is selling his boat this spring so I am hoping he will send me a lot of his go to lures and hopefully some other stuff! Sounds like he will send me some for sure. I am not even sure if I can get a lot of what they use up there around here. Has anyone heard of or used an Osprey lure? I have about 5 in different colors but hoping for more. What about Tazmanian Devils? I know Wanna fish has some Z rays. I should be getting a nice care package from Utah one of these days soon.

15. wannafish

Sprotsman's Warehouse in Puyallup has both Z Ray and Tasmanian Devils. Hang on to those Z Rays. They are no longer made.
    I thought I had a Osprey lure but when I did a Google search I couldn't find what I thought it was.