American Lake | Gamefishin.com
  1. SalmonNoob

SalmonNoob New Member

First off, great board. I've already learned a lot just from reading and searching the forums.

I just got staioned here ( PCS from Ft. Benning )and the house we got on post is literally 100ft from American Lake. I've been able to fish more in the past two weeks than in the last two years.

I've caught one Rainbow ( brown 1/8 rooster tail ) in my five outings so far so I was wondering if anyone can give me some history on the Lake in regards to what the trout and Kokanee bite on for lures and bait. Are these guys more power bait or worm friendly?

I've never done Kokanee so I'm really excited to try and land one. Thanks for the help.

KC

2. KingFever

KingFever New Member

if your trolling use a weddin ring with a worm on it or a dick night no worm if your fishing on the dock bobber set up with a piece of shrimp or if your plunkin of the dock 3 foot leader at this time of year with a store bought mini marshmellow slide through hook onto the line then put 1/3 of a worm on the hook and cast out and wait goodluck.
    -kyle

3. SalmonNoob

SalmonNoob New Member

Thanks Kyle. Gonna give it a shot this weekend.

4. Phoenix77

Phoenix77 New Member

If you really want to learn about Kokanee, go to SportCo, Fife, http://www.sportco.com/. Talk to Billy Herzog behind the fishing counter, he grew up on the lake and is the local guru anent Kokanee. He also, gives Kokanee Seminars at various times and places during the year.

5. Bay Wolf

Bay Wolf Well-Known Member

Salmon, I assume by your post that you are fishng from the bank. Russell landing rents boats for a pretty reasonable cost and with it, you can really expand your fishing. You may want to think about getting a little boat, since you're so clost to the water. Fishing American can be really fun. I use my boat and troll, but shore fishing can also be productive. Use a slider sinker and a 3 ft leader of 6lbs. I have used a lot of combinations of stuff but have found chartruse/glitter power bait to be my go to stuff. Try fishing off the bank near Russell landing, in the cove there. Kokanee are, as far as I know, a trolling only game. Maybe we can hook up sometime and go out together. Good luck.

6. SalmonNoob

SalmonNoob New Member

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up about Billy.

7. SalmonNoob

SalmonNoob New Member

Thanks Wolf. I have 4 days of no work so I plan on hitting the lake hard all along the west side. Might have to take a day and try my luck at Steelhead though. I guess Cowlitz is the best and closest place to go from Ft. Lewis? PM me if you want to meet up.

8. Phoenix77

Phoenix77 New Member

I think if I were you, I'd pay attention to Bay Wolf and get a small boat. You can find them farily cheap at times when some guy gets PCS Orders.
    I used wo live right acrossed the street from the path to Heart's Lake (pond) on North Fort.